Portal

Options
NaturalBel
NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
edited May 2013 in General discussion

For the first time, I had my overnight bag packed 2 nights ago, assuming it could be a trip to hospital.  My Portal seemed to have moved and was causing a fair bit of discomfort.  I put my hand on it and it felt like it was kinda sticking out a bit.  I had done some stretches earlier, but nothing unusual.  However, I took it very quietly for the arvo and slept through the night ok.  Its a tad annoying but not a trip to hospital.  I rang my Breast Care Nurse Susan and she said sometimes they can flip or move, if so, they cant use them.  I have an appointment this Monday to see my Surgeon (lucky), and although it seems ok, she will determine if it has corrected itself or not.  It has behaved the whole time, so it seems a bit odd that it should be bad now.  I did have my arms above my head waiting extra time for the doctor for my initial appointment prior to Radiation.  First time I had my arms above my head, and it would have been about 15 mins.  I have a question here now - what experience did you have with your port at the end of Chemo.  when do they take it out.  I have heard a year after..... does that mean they expect me to get Cancer back within a year???  Back to hospital every 6 weeks to flush the damn thing, the port does freak me out a bit, I hate to touch it and my clothes rub on it.  (no fat).  I am just curious.  One friend (the doomsday friend), who has had BC said "They took mine out straight away after, there can be complications...."  she so hates me these days because I didnt ring her more than twice during her turn!  (we had already drifted, she is way too abrupt for me these days, Im a lot more chilled!).  Thank you ladies, I will discuss all this with my Doctor on Monday anyways!  Love Bel

Comments

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hate it...can't wait to be rid of it. My recent surgery resulted in 2 missed herceptin so delays my completion of treatment to probably January.

(Referring to your other post today) You poor darl, just chill if you feel like chillin now chemo is complete. You have made an amazing turn around since the Bel who started on this blog a few months back. Pretty soon we might see you on that hoarding TV show....ha...sorry. I'm obviously in a good mood......first outing since my horrendous surgery, breaky with hubby at Terrigal in the perfect central coast weather....do I make you miss the CC?

Xxxlouie
  • LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hate it...can't wait to be rid of it. My recent surgery resulted in 2 missed herceptin so delays my completion of treatment to probably January.

(Referring to your other post today) You poor darl, just chill if you feel like chillin now chemo is complete. You have made an amazing turn around since the Bel who started on this blog a few months back. Pretty soon we might see you on that hoarding TV show....ha...sorry. I'm obviously in a good mood......first outing since my horrendous surgery, breaky with hubby at Terrigal in the perfect central coast weather....do I make you miss the CC?

Xxxlouie
  • NaturalBel
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dont worry I will bounce back I promise, you lot did!  Just thought Id have a "winge" to you so  I didnt sound too perfect, that only annoys people! Laughing!  I nearly got run over when I drove myself into my Physio appointment today, as I forgot to look left and it was a one way street, I was looking the wrong way.!  Now thats funny!    But good news is, I drove back home and in safety!  Note to all, there are lots of one way streets in Launceston.  I will be ok, love a good stir up!  XX Bel still smiling....

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello,

bounce back, yes, I hope so! It can be a bit one step forward, two steps back sometimes, but you are going well.  It will do you good to have some " time out"   from the BC experience !  Enjoy your birthday Belinda.. May 8th.

Wishes...Kathy.. OOXX

• NaturalBel
    edited March 2015
    Options

My Dr checked my Port and said it is ok, it can be removed if it becomes too uncomfortable.  But it has settled down, must have been from having my arms in the air when I went in for the Rad markers.  It was indicated I may be keeping it for up to 2 years..... but its up to my Oncologist/Radiaologist when it will come out.  Being triple negative, I got the idea that they leave it in to see how you go!  But I will have to speak to the Dr. before I assume that.  Flushing it out every 6 weeks......after Id insisted on having it numbed every Chemo day....might have to toughen up.