New to blogging, new to breast cancer

Options
annie68
annie68 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in General discussion

Hi,

I'm Leanne 44 yrs and was diagnosed with breast cancer on March 1. Had my lumpectomy on March 7. Within the next 5 weeks I will commence Chemo & Herceptin treatment. To say it's been a whirlwind is an understatement. I'm wondering if there is anyone that would like to share their experience with me if similar to the journey I am on or to share any tips to help me through my first round of treatment.

Many Thanks

Leanne

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to our wonderful BCNA site.  You will be totally supported here.  If you ever have a query just put it out here.  Someone will have had a similar situation and will gladly give their experience.  It is now 21 months since I completed chemo for my second diagnosis.  The memory still lingers on though.  There is a wonderful blog on here that is headed "What helped me through chemo"  I am sure if you did a search on that heading it will come up for you.  So many wonderful tips.   My tip to you is:  One day at a time - go with the flow and put Yourself first"   Chemo is tough but doable.  Do you have someone to support you?  People will help you in many ways.  I am really "tough" and very "independant" however I was very grateful for others help during chemo.  What got me through also was the knowledge that others had "gone before me".  If you are able to in the next 5 weeks do some preparation:  gather some books for reading, cook some meals and freeze them, load up your pantry with things that you like.  Learn how to relax and chill - it will be very helpful for you.  Best wishes and good luck with the bc journey.  It is amazing how quickly the time will go - before you know it your treatment will be over (yes i know Herceptin goes on for a while but it is okay it will become part of your routine) XLeonie

• Roslyn Mitchell
    Roslyn Mitchell Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leanne,
    You have just done something wonderful, and that is ask for support. There are so many of us, but thats the good news, because we are survivors :) as will you be too!
    Its a bumpy road, Leonie has given you some great advice, find support in your area, because there will be someone not too far away that has walked this road, and even if their journey is not exactly the same, you willstill have so much in common.
    We will be here, always. My tip would be to always listen to your body, and treat yourself like a best friend. There will be some ordinary days, but some EXTRAORDINARY ones too! I am 49, four year survivor, planning a massive 50th fundraising for BCNA, something I never thought I would do. Blogging through my early days certainly helped, sharing with someone else your thoughts and emotions is terrific, because no-one else will 'get it' like another woman going through or who has been through it. Find Look Good Feel Good, I drove 2 hours to get to one - they are FABULOUS. I found the first chemo the hardest, mentally but then once Id done that first one, and I knew I could do it again, and that in itself is terribly empowering, and gave me the strength to continue. Be honest to yourself and honest to those closest, so they know how you really feel. I love my bond with my pink friends and you will be in my thoughts, big hugs :)
    PS please remember that no two women are the same, each woman reacts, copes, shares, things differently, a bit like having a baby, all conceived, carried, delivered and completely unique - cancer too is the same. You are unique and your experience will be unique
  • Roslyn Mitchell
    Roslyn Mitchell Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leanne,
    You have just done something wonderful, and that is ask for support. There are so many of us, but thats the good news, because we are survivors :) as will you be too!
    Its a bumpy road, Leonie has given you some great advice, find support in your area, because there will be someone not too far away that has walked this road, and even if their journey is not exactly the same, you willstill have so much in common.
    We will be here, always. My tip would be to always listen to your body, and treat yourself like a best friend. There will be some ordinary days, but some EXTRAORDINARY ones too! I am 49, four year survivor, planning a massive 50th fundraising for BCNA, something I never thought I would do. Blogging through my early days certainly helped, sharing with someone else your thoughts and emotions is terrific, because no-one else will 'get it' like another woman going through or who has been through it. Find Look Good Feel Good, I drove 2 hours to get to one - they are FABULOUS. I found the first chemo the hardest, mentally but then once Id done that first one, and I knew I could do it again, and that in itself is terribly empowering, and gave me the strength to continue. Be honest to yourself and honest to those closest, so they know how you really feel. I love my bond with my pink friends and you will be in my thoughts, big hugs :)
    PS please remember that no two women are the same, each woman reacts, copes, shares, things differently, a bit like having a baby, all conceived, carried, delivered and completely unique - cancer too is the same. You are unique and your experience will be unique
  • poppy7
    poppy7 Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leanne,

I understand your apprehension. It sure is a roller coaster ride especially at the beginning. I was diagnosed 30 Nov 12, had an 8 cm tumour, 15 out of 21 nodes positive, HER +. I had a lumpectomy, followed by a mastectomy. I was 40. I will have my 4th chemo next monday. I can't say that I am looking forward to it, but all in all I have been very lucky and haven't had too many side effects. I even joked that they were just running water through my veins!

I now get nausea on day 3 to 6 but it is kept under control by eating small meals often, taking Nexium for indigestion, and taking all the anti nausea pills they will give you.

I agree, getting a porta cath put in is the best thing as they can take your bloods from it and it will save your veins.

I know it sounds crazy but try to enjoy and get the most out of every experience, even losing your hair. You will meet some amazing people and be surprised and proud of yourself at the end of this journey.

Good luck with it all.

Love

V

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Leanne

Welcome to this website and so sorry you have to be here. You have done a very smart thing though by putting up your post and asking for help and advice.

I agree totally with everything the girls have said above. I found sometimes I had to take it hour by hour and sometimes day by day. Also try and remember that the majority of side effects are only temporary and they will pass and mainly only short lived.

Ask for help when you need it and if you have people that are close to you who want to know what they can do to help then tell them that you would really love your floors vacuumed or mopped, the washing done, house dusted, lawns mowed - whatever it is that is troubling you that needs doing but you just aren't up for it.

Read all the posts relating on this website that relates to what you need to know about at the time. Ask away if there is something bothering you because we are all here to help. Cancer Council was a great help to me with various things they can offer.

With regards to finding someone going through the same treatment as you I really hope you get that wish. I found a most wonderful special friend through BCNA who will always be very close to my heart. Her and I were a huge support to each other emotionally the whole way through our journeys. We are both now post treatment but we are still the absolute best of friends. There is not a day goes by that we don't chat to each other either by SMS, email and occasionally phone calls. She lives in Sydney and I live in Perth. It just shows you that distance doesn't matter. She had a double mastectomy and I had a lumpectomy but it doesn't matter. We are different ages and our children are at different ages and stages in their lives but it doesn't matter. We both work in completely different lines of work but it doesn't matter. I have a husband and she has a fellow but they don't live together but again that doesn't matter. The thing that brought us together was BCNA and breast cancer but the thing that keeps us together now is that we each know what we have been through and that we are both survivors who found each other on our journey and have stayed together.

If you don't find that one special person at the end of the day it won't matter because you have found many special people here on BCNA who will support you through your whole journey and beyond and we can all be your special friends if you want.

Please hop on here and chat away to us whenever you wish as one of us if not all of us will be here for you.

I am wishing you strength and wellness as you continue on your journey with all it's up and downs.

Lots of love, Mich xoxo

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leanne

Just wanted to say Hi, the others have given you good advice. I know in your head you see chemo patients as bald old women that lay in bed sick. Some days are like that, but after the first week you can go back to doing most of the things you did before. My kids were 2 and 4 when I was diagnosed so I still did shopping, took them to school, parties, out to dinner etc. I was tired and "off" a lot of the time and needed a nanna nap most days but I also kept things normal.

Anyway, good luck and ask many questions. Not sure if the others have said this one? It's not pretty but have some coloxyl on hand for constipation is a must too.

Xx

Tan
    Diagnosed in 2007 at 36
  • SunnyJ
    SunnyJ Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Leanne - I was 41, with two children aged 5 & 3 when diagnosed in June last year with inflammatory breast cancer. Things looked very grim as it is the worst of the worst sort of BC to get - a 30% survival rate. I have been lucky though and I'm through chemo, rads and surgery and we think the cancer has completely gone (three cheers for herceptin the miracle drug). In the end none of the treatment was as bad as I thought it was going to be and I worked through the entire time.

Based on my experience my advice is:1. don't quit your job or take extended leave if you don't have to, you'll probably be fine to work most of the time and it beats sitting around thinking about it. 2. Get a good wig, no one that doesn't know will know and it beats talking about it all the time. 3. Get knowledgeable and understand your treatment - if something sounds wrong question it and get a second opinion. The first surgeon I had said I needed a radical mastectomy with only the choice of reconstruction at least a year down the track, the second suggested a skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (much different and better outcome). 4: Read Lance Armstrong's book, "it's Not About The Bike", don't worry about all the latest controversy- his cancer fight is educational & inspirational.

Best wishes and good luck, I hope everything works out for you. Anna.
  • kato
    kato Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leanne, I was also 44 when diagnosed and finished treatment last August.

You have received fantastic advice from wonderful ladies who offer great support. I have found I can no longer eat food I ate while feeling ill after chemo.

The other day I thought I would donate some clothes. It may sound bizarre but I realised the clothes I wore on chemo days hadn't been worn since and I cringed looking at them. PTSD maybe?

Lots of hugs and good wishes for your journey,

• annie68
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • annie68
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • annie68
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you all for your advice and wonderful support I am truly grateful. My first appointment with the oncologist is on Monday. Whilst I was expecting this phone call it really bought me undone. I think it just bought the reality of it all to the surface. My prognosis is good except for the length of time I will be receiving treatment due to the HER2 factor. I will know more after seeing the oncologist. I ordered and have received my first lot of chemo head wear it is lovely however I havent actually tried it on yet .... just cant seem to do that yet.

You are all in my thoughts

Leanne Xx