New

Options
Fiona76
Fiona76 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2013 in General discussion

Hi my name is Fiona and I have just been told I have breast cancer. I am 36 years old and have two children aged 3 and a half and nearly 9 year old. I found out i had DCIS and was told that i would be having a lumpectomy but then my doctor re looked at my mammogram picture and went to a board meeting. I went back to see him and have been told I have no choice but to have a mastectomy. I then was getting all options put at me and I was just sitting in silence trying to get my head around what he just told me. Went home and thought over the weekend and have decided to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction.

I'm feeling scared, confussed.

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dearest Fiona

Sorry for your diagnosis. I chose the bi lateral mastectomy too with reconstruction. I personally wanted to be able to say I did everything possible to give me the best chance (it is a very personal decision, and there is no right or wrong, but what is right for you).

They seem to talk a different language at the start and everything seems like a blur. I was 36 when diagnosed in 2007.

Take care and ask people for help and try to take someone with you to appointments, cause it is just too hard to take it all in at the start.

Tanya xx

• wendyb
    wendyb Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Fiona,

i understand how you are feeling.  I was diagnosed with DCIS when I was 32 in 2011 and have since had a bilaterial mastectomy and reconstruction.  I think back about the time it took me to decide to do both instead of just the one and so grateful that I chose to do both.  It took me a long time to make the decision and even then I still wasn't comfortable with my decision until I woke up from the surgery. 

I am very happy with my decision.  It meant I only had to have 2 surgeries, 1 recovery period, bigger boobs and no more 6 monthly checks and scans. 

Take each day as it comes and if you are not sure about something, ask questions.  I think I asked the same question several times before I could fully grasp the concepts.

• Tanja
    Tanja Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey Fiona,

It's so scary! I know how you feel - it all feels like a massive mistake...it can't be right!

All I can say is, do whatever you can to BEAT cancer!
    I've chosen a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and it's now 9 days after my sugery. It's challenging but It was the best decision I have made (for me).

Good luck with your journey & please keep in touch.

Tanja x
    (Sisters through cancer)
  • louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Fiona

I think you have made the right decision.  I had extensive DCIS when I was 35 and only had the one mastectomy and reconstruction.  I then had to go through it all again 7 years later when I was diagnosed a second time (and this time I had to have chemo!).  If I had decided on the double the first time, I wouldn't have had to go through it all again and wouldn't have had chemo.

Its a horrible confusing time but once you have a date for your surgery and things are in place, you will feel better about it.  Hopefully you won't need any chemo or follow up treatment.

Best of luck,

Louise

• Meggsie
    Meggsie Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Fiona, Just read your post and know how you are feeling. I was 28 when diagnosed with DCIS in one breast in 2008. I choose to have both removed also as i had 2 mamograms and ultrasounds which showed nothing.

i didn't want to go through it all again if it chose to rear its ugly head. My husband didnt want me to have both off (although he supported my decision) and even one of my Dr's said he thought i was doing the wrong thing. But in the end it was my decision and it gave me alot of assurance throughout the last couple of years.

Good luck in your surgery tomorrow. Take care of yourself. It is all worth it. In 6mths you will feel normal again. Keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Regards,

Megan

xo

• Fiona76
    Fiona76 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Megan, Well surgery went well but things had to change, I got a phone call the day before my op and they asked me to come in and see them at 12:30 as i had an appointment at 2pm that day, so of course I was thinking all bad stuff. When got there my mastectomy surgeon and plastics surgeon were there, my CT showed a hernia in my tummy and they didn't want to risk taking anything from the stomach as it could cause health problems for me later in life so the only choice was to remove the right breast only and do a breast reconstruction done with the latissimus dorsi flap. I have to go back into hospital to have the left breast lifted and made smaller to match the right breast ( the good thing about having the latissimus dorsi done is i get to get a smaller cup size) also to talk about when to do the nipple.. I have already asked about what happens if the cancer comes in left breast they said what we did wth right breast it will be done on left.

I am doing ok i still have swelling but i can move my right arm alittle more, the only thing is i can't sleep in my bed as i can't lay on any of my side so for the next 2 - 3 weeks recliner chair which is still uncomfortable but better for me. Have got a appointment friday with the surgeon who did the mastectomy to talk about what he did and if i have to have radiotheropy. will keep you all posted.

Thanks

Fiona

• susiew
    susiew Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hope you are still doing ok Fiona and getting some rest!

Keep smiling...you are on the way up!

Susie x