Get connected day!

Options
Daina_BCNA
Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
edited October 2010 in Day to day

Hi all,

It's Wednesday again and time for the weeks Get Connected post.

All you need to do is click on the link, read the 'What to do' and scroll down to the 'comments' field at the bottom of the post, and write a short note and introduce yourself.

Don't forget, when you see someone who has similar interests or experiences to you, you can add them to your contacts list so you can follow their posts.

Have fun!

Daina

Comments

• VickiPl
    VickiPl Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi my name is Vicki, I was diagnosed at 44 years with dcis Grade 2 after a routine mammogram on the 09/09/10.  It feels like everything since that day has been one big blur.  I had wide local excision surgery a week later and thankfully all my margins came back clear. I will be starting 6 weeks of radiotherapy in the next few weeks and I do not really know what to expect.  Anyone out there that can give me some personal feedback?

I am trying to be strong for the sake of my 2 beautiful boys 19 and 10 and my loving husband who has been my rock in all of this madness.

I know I am lucky and things could be a lot worse but I worry that it may come back, does everyone feel this way?

I have read so many personal stories over the last few weeks that have been written by brave women of all ages, I have cried for ever one of them.

Thanks for listening to my story.

• VickiPl
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi my name is Vicki, I was diagnosed at 44 years with dcis Grade 2 after a routine mammogram on the 09/09/10.  It feels like everything since that day has been one big blur.  I had wide local excision surgery a week later and thankfully all my margins came back clear. I will be starting 6 weeks of radiotherapy in the next few weeks and I do not really know what to expect.  Anyone out there that can give me some personal feedback?

I am trying to be strong for the sake of my 2 beautiful boys 19 and 10 and my loving husband who has been my rock in all of this madness.

I know I am lucky and things could be a lot worse but I worry that it may come back, does everyone feel this way?

I have read so many personal stories over the last few weeks that have been written by brave women of all ages, I have cried for ever one of them.

Thanks for listening to my story.

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi VikiPI,

Welcome to the online network!

It was really great to hear from you and I hope the online network will provide a place for you to connect with others, share your experiences and gain suppor.

I thought this might help get you started! I completed a search of the site using the key word "DSIC" and the following results returned

http://www.bcna.org.au/search/node/dcis

Please ask if you need help finding your way around.

Daina

• Daina_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi VikiPI,

Welcome to the online network!

It was really great to hear from you and I hope the online network will provide a place for you to connect with others, share your experiences and gain suppor.

I thought this might help get you started! I completed a search of the site using the key word "DSIC" and the following results returned

http://www.bcna.org.au/search/node/dcis

Please ask if you need help finding your way around.

Daina

• VickiPl
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for the message and info Daina, trying to find my way around the site, hope to get the hang of it soon.

Have a great night.

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Vicki

Just wanted to add to Daina's welcome.  it is always a blur when you hear the words "you have cancer".

I was diagnosed in 2007 when my children were young and had a mastecomy and chemo.  I did not have radiation because I chose to have a mastcomy.  It meant not being away from home for 6 weeks. 

In time, it will all be behind you.  I am hoping someone with Radiation experience can pop in and give you some tips.

Take care of yourself and give yourself time to process all that is happening.

Tanya

• VickiPl
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tanya,

Thanks so much for the welcome email.  I just finished reading your story and I wanted to say what a brave young woman I think you are and I am so glad to read you are doing so well after everything that you and your family have been through.

I pray that this is behind you and that you and your family have a wonderful life ahead. I truly hope that this will be the case for me and my family as well.

Hope to speak to you soon.

Vicki

Take care

• Lee H
    Lee H Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, my name is Leanne, I am 30 with 2 very busy boys (10 and 4) and live in lovely canberra, I have just started out with having my mastectomy 3 weeks ago and start chemo soon.  (no radiation as had radiation treatment to another type of cancer 13 years ago).

It has been wonderful to be able to read others posts, over the past few weeks it has made me feel more acceptable and less lonely, when everything has happened so very quickly (first attendance at GP to mastectomy within 2 weeks!)

Thankyou for this wonderful website!

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leanne

I do hope you have some comfort in  the fact that many young women live great lives after Breast cancer.  Check out my profile pic, all three of us young women were diagnosed in our 30's and have just had a lovely time catching up with loads of young women at the Young womens cancer conference at the Gold Coast last month,  It does happen quickly and I am sure you are still pinching yourself that it is not a bad dream,

I had a mastcomy in 2007 and have just had reconstruc tion earlier this year, chemo is not nice but is doeable and has come along way in recent years with anti nausea etc.  Neutsla injections (white cell booster).  My children were 2 and 4 during chemo but we still did normal stuff when I was well (really only 4 days out of every cycle that was tough), kids parties, shopping, out to dinner the movies.  it is only gonna consume you if you let it.

Good luck, things will settle down with time, patience and support from loved ones.  Glad you found this site, dont be a stranger and never feel alone.

Tanya

• Jenniemac
    Jenniemac Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi VickiPI

I was also diagnosed with DCIS last year, and like you had WLE with clear margins and followed by radiotherapy. Like you, I also worried that it will return (and I guess that fear never really goes away), but the stats are definitely on our side! And having radiation treatment should help to stack the odds even further in your favour. Hang in there ... 6 weeks of radiotherapy sounds like such a long time, and it certainly feels that way when you first start out.  But, trust me, within no time it will be behind you and you can start getting on with your life! My thoughts and wishes are with you.

Jennie