Maxine shares her story

Options
Laura Crowden
Laura Crowden Member Posts: 109
edited November 2012 in Community news and events

Hi everyone,

November marks twelve months since Maxine Morand joined BCNA as CEO.

As most of you may know, Maxine was diagnosed with breast cancer herself in June 2011. In a strange twist of fate, the very day after Maxine found out she had breast cancer, she was approached about the role as CEO at BCNA.

To celebrate her first twelve months in the role, we have filmed a short video of her breast cancer journey.  In the film, Maxine shares her own experience of diagnosis and how she came to join BCNA.

youtube_ameJ448HRws

We thank Maxine for a wonderful first year as CEO and look forward to many more!

Laura

Comments

• Therese Warnick
    Therese Warnick Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Maxine for sharing your story - a number of things you said were the same for me - i too knew it was not good news before being told, and i too did not cry and remained calm when telling family, friends and work colleagues to name two similiarites.  It is always a good thing to hear others' stories and know that you are not alone.

Therese 

• Michelle K
    Michelle K Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thankyou so very much for sharing your story Maxine. I can relate to what you were going through at that time for I too was diagnosed in June , 2011. I liken my own breast cancer journey as a rollercoaster... but at the end of the long and often scary ride... I feel you become a stronger and more confident woman... in so many ways... :)

• helen anne
    helen anne Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maxine

Thanks for sharing your story - it's such a personal story to tell people....

October marked my first anniversary and it's a great feeling to reach this milestone!

I knew I had cancer because the radiologist had given me the x-rays and I can read films (one of the skills I learnt at Peter Mac)...so it was more of dropping lots of hints to hubby so he wouldn't freak out and then worse still - telling my 80+ yr old parents (who promptly broke down and cried). I will never forget that moment for as long as I live.

But despite having a hell of journey, with many complications, I made it and as I tell everyone who will listen, I drew on BCNA's My Journey Kit and website to get me thru it (and I'm not just saying this because I'm a CL!) haha!

I'm a bit philosophical about this "journey" - I believe for whatever reason, those of us who undergo this journey are destined to do this. Somehow out of this journey we become different but better people - I really believe that.

And I really believe your journey happened to you, so you could understand the journey all of us BCNA ladies go and become the great CEO that you are.

Thanks for sharing

Helen

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

We are so fortunate to have a CEO who is not just a great choice, but who is also one of us, and understands completely the journey we all face when we are diagnosed. Our pink ladies often say that unless you are one of us, you don't really understand what it is like. You get it, Maxine. You have been there. We are so lucky to have you - and your wonderful team - in our corner. All the best for the rest of your journey, and thank you for sharing it with us all.

Michelle

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

All stories are unique, but we share some things;  fear, anxiety and SHOCK of diagnosis.

You are making a great CEO of BCNA Maxine, and along with others, are continuing to make a difference to those with BC, ABC, plus family and friends, and in the community.

Kathy

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

What an incredible situation to be in - to apply for a position, and completely be suited in every way!  I am about 7 weeks into the discovery of breast cancer, and 2 ops later.  I am now healing, awaiting the Chemo and then Radiation parts of the treatments.  I am not suited to any other form of treatment, so rely on those.  I still dont believe I have had this happen, we had just moved to Tasmania, I had just started a new job, and I had just started studying.  I guess there is never a time of convenience.  Wish you well, and thank you for sharing your story.  Bel McKenna

• Custard
    Custard Member Posts: 417
    edited March 2015
    Options

You made ME cry, Maxine,

we are all in the same exclusive club, all the better for being lead by you. Thank you.

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Maxine

For sharing your own personal BC story with all your pink sisters. Yours is amazing in that you were offered the position of CEO for BCNA at such a daunting and traumatic time in your life, went through your surgery/ treatment plus to also take up your new CEO career. Congratulations as that would not have been a small feat to contend with. I feel your story is an inspiration to us all.

I find it wonderful to hear other peoples stories. We all have had BC but our journeys tend to take each of us on slight detours along the way but all hopefully with a wonderful destination at the end. I find it very uplifting to read others stories good or bad because then we know we are not alone.

I have never felt alone since I found and became a part of BCNA.

I wish you continued success in your role as CEO for BCNA. You are also lucky to have a great bunch of people on your team. Congratulations.

Mich xoxo

• MaureenH
    MaureenH Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just found time to sit and go through my messages and came across your DVD.

It is a great expression of your B/C Journey.

With our TBCN "The Ongoing Journey" conference over, I think of all those beautiful women who attended and allowed us to be part of their lives for two days. They all have a glow about them, just as you do. Thank you for your support of TBCN and for the inspiration you gave to our attendees.

Wishing you good health as we continue on that Journey.

Hope you enjoyed the drumming session - something different to do on a Saturday night eh!,

Regards

Maureen Holland

• MaureenH
    MaureenH Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have just found time to sit and go through my messages and came across your DVD.

It is a great expression of your B/C Journey.

With our TBCN "The Ongoing Journey" conference over, I think of all those beautiful women who attended and allowed us to be part of their lives for two days. They all have a glow about them, just as you do. Thank you for your support of TBCN and for the inspiration you gave to our attendees.

Wishing you good health as we continue on that Journey.

Hope you enjoyed the drumming session - something different to do on a Saturday night eh!,

Regards

Maureen Holland

• Laura Crowden
    Laura Crowden Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maureen,

From all accounts, Maxine, Daina & Marita had a fantastic time at TBCN and really enjoyed their trip to Launceston.  The Saturday night party was a highlight!

Launceston born & bred myself, I wish I could have made the trip.  Congrats to you, Mandy and all the others invovled.

Love to all the pink ladies in Tassie!

Laura