A holiday to WA

Options
serenity11
serenity11 Member Posts: 143
edited September 2012 in General discussion

Hello everyone.  I am one day away from my final chemo.  Looking forward to this part of my treatment finishing.  Particularly looking forward to the PICC being removed. 

Anyway, I am planning a holiday to the Perth region in the weeks prior to Christmas.  I will be 5 weeks post radiation.  Does anyone have tips on travelling, as well as what to see and do when I am there?  I have never been to WA before. 

The strong one (husband) will be travelling with me and we thought perhaps the Margaret River region?  We will be flying to Tom Price for Christmas to catch up with family.  We are no longer putting off our travelling.

Any favourite accommodation or places to visit? All suggestions welcome.

Interestingly when I went to the RACQ for some maps etc the lady gave me a pair of compression socks.  Her comment was " I can see you have cancer (nude nut is a giveaway :) as is the PICC line), you need to wear these when you fly, I did and had no problems".  Small world isnt it?

I await your input. Take care

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Serenity

That is so lovely that you are coming to WA, Perth and Tom Price.  I agree with Maria that it will be hot, particularly in Tom Price cause that is getting closer to the top of WA so the higher you go the hotter it gets.  Tom Price is a very pretty lil town seeing as it is in the North but it isn't what they call the real North.  I am sure where you will be staying will be well equipped to deal with the heat.  It is a country town but a beautiful country town.

I am not sure exactly how many klms Tom Price is from Perth.  We are only 365klms North of Perth and we are always at least 2 degrees warmer than Perth but I love Perth, I love the mid west and I love it up North as much as I love it down South.

There are soooooooooo many beaitiful places down south, too many to name them all but Mandurah, Busselton, Bunbury, Denmark, Walpole, Albany, Esperance and I can just keep going.

As I said I live North because I looooovvvve the warmth and I live in a lovely lil quaint seaside country town called Port Denison/Dongara but anywhere along the coast is beautful as well especially if you love the ocean and the wind.

Then of course you have inland, places like Kalgoolie etc which I pretty much spent my young years growing up there but again it is hot, red and dusty but amazing places with a wonderful history.  You will have missed the wildflowers by the time you arrive but they can be spectacular as well.

In case you haven't guessed I love our beautiful state and the beautiful people in it and I soooo hope you have a wonderful wonderful time while you are here.

5 weeks post rads, if you don't have any little hiccups like I did you should be feeling great and ready to party and see the world.  How wonderful to have something so special to look forward to. 

If you are passing through Port Denison/Dongara and want somewhere to stay my door is always open.

LOL

Mich xoxoxox

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Serenity

That is so lovely that you are coming to WA, Perth and Tom Price.  I agree with Maria that it will be hot, particularly in Tom Price cause that is getting closer to the top of WA so the higher you go the hotter it gets.  Tom Price is a very pretty lil town seeing as it is in the North but it isn't what they call the real North.  I am sure where you will be staying will be well equipped to deal with the heat.  It is a country town but a beautiful country town.

I am not sure exactly how many klms Tom Price is from Perth.  We are only 365klms North of Perth and we are always at least 2 degrees warmer than Perth but I love Perth, I love the mid west and I love it up North as much as I love it down South.

There are soooooooooo many beaitiful places down south, too many to name them all but Mandurah, Busselton, Bunbury, Denmark, Walpole, Albany, Esperance and I can just keep going.

As I said I live North because I looooovvvve the warmth and I live in a lovely lil quaint seaside country town called Port Denison/Dongara but anywhere along the coast is beautful as well especially if you love the ocean and the wind.

Then of course you have inland, places like Kalgoolie etc which I pretty much spent my young years growing up there but again it is hot, red and dusty but amazing places with a wonderful history.  You will have missed the wildflowers by the time you arrive but they can be spectacular as well.

In case you haven't guessed I love our beautiful state and the beautiful people in it and I soooo hope you have a wonderful wonderful time while you are here.

5 weeks post rads, if you don't have any little hiccups like I did you should be feeling great and ready to party and see the world.  How wonderful to have something so special to look forward to. 

If you are passing through Port Denison/Dongara and want somewhere to stay my door is always open.

LOL

Mich xoxoxox

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Serenity

LOL

Mich xoxoxox

• lanilumps71
    lanilumps71 Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All the places mentioned above and you can't go wrong!! Especially the ones down south!! Fremantle has a character of its own and you can grab a ferry to Perth! Also rottnest island if you love snorkeling and diving.. You can hire a push bike and cycle around... Even to the pub and they always have something interesting happening!! Accommodation can be a bit pricey so get on the website wotif.com and you can pick up some amazing deals wherever you want to stay... Even rottnest!!! Have fun (-;
  • serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015
    Options

There is just so much to chose from so I am trying to whittle it down so I dont use up all my energy before I get to Tom Price and family.  The heat doesnt worry me, we spent several years in Katherine NT.  I just want to get out and about as I have be confined to the house for most of my treatment. 

Mich, Tom Price is 1700km from Perth - we are flying :) 

We are thinking about heading south this time.  Love seafood, love trekking, love wine (distinct lack of in the past 5 months) so looking like we have chosen a good place to visit.  Next time we will hire a vehicle (or borrow one from family) and head north .  I have driven the Gibb River Road from East to West with the Variety Club many years ago when it was just becoming a tourist route.  And have spent a couple of weeks in the Broome region.  So I  just need to fill in between.  But I thought we would do this in the "winter" such as it is.

OK, so off I go to my last chemo.  Thank you again and take care.