hello and question

nickye05
nickye05 Member Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in General discussion

Dear anyone, 

My name is Nicky, 49 yrs, double mastectomy 18months ago, have been into Medicare twice to ask about breast reconstruction rebates and burst into tears the minute I open my mouth and have to leave - they will start selling tickets soon.  Is this normal? 

Also, is there anywhere in this network where I can ask about a prospective surgeon - whether anyone has experience, whether I should be worried he has so many available times?

If you've time to answer I'd be v grateful.  So nice reading your posts. 

Best, Nicky  

Comments

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,600
    edited March 2015
    Gees this is hard......I had a complete meltdown last Friday after seeing a plastic surgeon about reconstruction. I was completely overwhelmed by the whole deal.

Anyway, I got over it for now.

I asked my breast surgeon, who I highly respect, about who she recommends and has worked with and who also operates in the public system. Where I am, Central Coast, it seems the best (most current) surgeons do both public and private. I asked for 2 referrals, then the first plastic surgeon I met suggested a third.

I'm comfortable with that. I'd also like to speak to past patients. I think plastic surgeons show you their work in photos. The surgeon last week also had a preferred technique. All this helps to choose the right one.

I am also fortunate to have a surgeon friend, who works in the same hospital and found their opinion helpful too.

So maybe start by asking your breast surgeon for some ideas. I think you need a referral anyway.

I have noticed some ladies talk about surgeons in posts so perhaps let us know your area and you never know who might chime in.

It's all good research I reckon.

Good luck
    Louie
  • LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,600
    edited March 2015
    Gees this is hard......I had a complete meltdown last Friday after seeing a plastic surgeon about reconstruction. I was completely overwhelmed by the whole deal.

Anyway, I got over it for now.

I asked my breast surgeon, who I highly respect, about who she recommends and has worked with and who also operates in the public system. Where I am, Central Coast, it seems the best (most current) surgeons do both public and private. I asked for 2 referrals, then the first plastic surgeon I met suggested a third.

I'm comfortable with that. I'd also like to speak to past patients. I think plastic surgeons show you their work in photos. The surgeon last week also had a preferred technique. All this helps to choose the right one.

I am also fortunate to have a surgeon friend, who works in the same hospital and found their opinion helpful too.

So maybe start by asking your breast surgeon for some ideas. I think you need a referral anyway.

I have noticed some ladies talk about surgeons in posts so perhaps let us know your area and you never know who might chime in.

It's all good research I reckon.

Good luck
    Louie
  • nickye05
    nickye05 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015

Thanks a lot for your email Louie, helpful to know how many referrals others are doing. I've been referred to three, can't get into one of them and now thinking of Darrel Perkins if anyone has any information on him or any experience - he was the one my breast surgeon recommended so maybe that's enough, except he mentioned that I was upset - I cried during the consult too - and I thought it was weird that he seemed surprised by that! 

I really liked his nurse though. Probably not the thing to focus on!

Good luck to you as well! Nicky 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015

Hi Nicky,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say welcome to the online network :-) It looks like you are finding your way around and some of the women have already jumped in to share their experiences.

If you havent found the Breast reconstuction page on our website have a look as it should answer some of the questions you may have - http://www.bcna.org.au/new-diagnosis/treatment/breast-reconstruction

Good luck and keep in touch.

Cheers,
    Daina

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015

Hi Nicky,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say welcome to the online network :-) It looks like you are finding your way around and some of the women have already jumped in to share their experiences.

If you havent found the Breast reconstuction page on our website have a look as it should answer some of the questions you may have - http://www.bcna.org.au/new-diagnosis/treatment/breast-reconstruction

Good luck and keep in touch.

Cheers,
    Daina