External breast prosthesis rebate helped me

Options
KymB
KymB Member Posts: 93
edited August 2012 in General discussion

At 48, I had just completed a post graduate university degree I’d long dreamed of doing.

After teaching adults for many years I was very keen to get my primary school teaching qualification. I’d been teaching primary for six months when I found a small dimple on my right breast, similar to a cellulite dimple in appearance.

My doctor referred me for a mammogram and ultrasound and two days later had organised an emergency appointment with a breast surgeon. Following a core biopsy, I was diagnosed with invasive lobular breast cancer.

I underwent a mastectomy, six rounds of chemotherapy and will be on hormone medication for at least five years.

There was a lot going on around the time of diagnosis and a lot of information to take in. My Breast Care Nurse told me about the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program through Medicare.

After hearing about the program and researching my options through BCNA, I decided to get an external breast prosthesis fitted.

I waited for over a year for the surgical swelling to heal and recover from chemotherapy before I got my first prosthesis in 2010. In the interim I wore a cushion form prosthesis.

The costs during treatment were very high, so the reimbursement that the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program offered was a big help. The program offers up to $400 for each new or replacement external breast prosthesis.

The out-of-pocket expenses during my treatment were considerable. I’d also purchased a swimming prosthesis and new bathers, all of these costs add up hugely, not to mention the cost of things like wigs and scarves. So the $400 reimbursement for a decent prosthesis was wonderful and very gratefully received.

The reimbursement helped in lots of ways, not all financial. At an emotional level, it’s reassuring to know that comfort and survival after breast cancer is considered important enough to offer support.

The reimbursement can be claimed by completing the claim form. You can send it in by post or by visiting a Medicare Service Centre.

The application process for the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program was very easy and the staff member at Medicare was friendly and tactful, which was nice.

And importantly, women can claim for a new prosthesis every two years.  Like any item worn on the body, a prosthesis is susceptible to wear and tear.

Every woman’s journey with breast cancer is different. But there is support and information available if you want it. This includes financial support such as the reimbursement through Medicare for prostheses and reliable information from organisations such as BCNA to help you make informed decisions.

Although my primary teaching career was short, I now do tutoring and emergency teaching and continue to work with my husband in our financial services business.

• For more information on the External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program and claiming, go to: www.humanservices.gov.au/breastprostheses  or call 132 011.