Secondary Breast Cancer

Options
Susan C
Susan C Member Posts: 16
edited April 2012 in General discussion

I have just recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and then 2 weeks following my mascetomy and removal of lymph nodes I have been told the cancer has spread to my lungs and liver.  I see the oncologist tomorrow and am hoping that there is some light at the end of this very bad luck tunnel!  Anyone had a similar experience?  Are there any tips you might like to share in managing this.  Thanks Susan

Comments

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Pam

Thanks so much for your reply.  I am finding this all quite difficult, cancer was one of the diseases I always believed I would never get.  I went 6 months ago to the Dr with pain in my breast, the Dr did a thorough examination and said that everything appeared normal however wrote me out a referral for a mammogram just to be on the safe side.  I never did the mammogram!  How I now wish I had.  I am 48 years of age and believe I am in the young category for this disease.  Did you try any alternative treatments along with the traditional?  I just hope they feel they can offer me some radically treatment to slow this aggressive cancer down.  It is great to finally talk to someone who also has secondary breast cancer.  Again, thank you so much for your post. Susan.

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Susan,

ur situation sounds exactly like mine...6 weeks post mastectomey (Dec 2009) cancer appeared in my liver, lungs and neck nodes...6 months of taxotere chemo and herceptin, continued with herceptin until May 2011  when we found it had spread to my brain...but up until then i was well and things were stable and appeared reasonably clear..even managed to go back to work for a few short months..altho dont work now...the current 3 weekly chemo i am on now seems to be working and we have seen some improvement in my brain mets and we will keep on this regime while it continues to work..

feel free to check out my story on here and make me a contact if u wish...i am also on facebook and there is a private group there for BC Ladies from all round the world..i can add u to the group if ur on FB too

Good luck  xoxox

Sam

• Samantha Cunnington
    Samantha Cunnington Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Susan,

ur situation sounds exactly like mine...6 weeks post mastectomey (Dec 2009) cancer appeared in my liver, lungs and neck nodes...6 months of taxotere chemo and herceptin, continued with herceptin until May 2011  when we found it had spread to my brain...but up until then i was well and things were stable and appeared reasonably clear..even managed to go back to work for a few short months..altho dont work now...the current 3 weekly chemo i am on now seems to be working and we have seen some improvement in my brain mets and we will keep on this regime while it continues to work..

feel free to check out my story on here and make me a contact if u wish...i am also on facebook and there is a private group there for BC Ladies from all round the world..i can add u to the group if ur on FB too

Good luck  xoxox

Sam

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Susan

My breast cancer was picked up because of a pain in my hip!  So, my first diagnosis was secondary breast cancer in December 2010.  I have bone mets.  So far it has not appeared in any of my other organs.   There are many different treatment options out there and many ladies living with this disease.  I have found this website to be such a great support for me. 

Good luck

Amy x

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam

Your story has very much given me some hope for todays meeting with the oncologist.  I have been having difficulty breathing and I hope he can do something to relieve this.  I am fine when I wake in the morning but once I start moving around and talking my breathing gets progressively worse.  This has gone from bad to worse over the last couple of weeks and I fear how I will be in another week if they can't do anything to relieve it! 

I have requested you as a contact... this is all new to me... just joined the blogging yesterday and have found it to be very beneficial... it gives me hope. 

Im not on Facebook but think I might join .  I will let you know when I do so I can hook up with your group.

Thanks so much for your posting... have a wonderful day!

Susan

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amy

Thank you for your reply.  I have just joined this blog and have already found that having contact with other women in similar situations has helped me immensely.  I see the oncologist today, so I am hoping he is able to offer me some good treatment options and something to relief the breathlessness... it is so debilitating!

Have a great day.

Susan

• Jaci
    Jaci Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Susan and others -  I also have secondary BC.  Was diagnosed just over a year ago when went to Dr for other problems and cancer in the liver was found and then back to the fact Ihad a lump in right breast that I had not done anything about - being the procrastinator that I am.  This went on with further investigations to show mets also in the bones.  Have not had any surgery as the oncologist and surgeon both agreed that was not the way to go - I presume (this was never adequately explained by them) as it was already well settled into the liver and throughout the bones.  As biopsy came back HER2+ I was prescribed Femara to fight the estrogen feeding the cancer and also Bondronat to combat the damage that the Femara does.  About a month ago, the Femara stopped being effective and have now changed to Aromasin and am told that there are other drug options out there when/if  this one stops or chemo.  Have also recently developed ascites (fluid in the abdominal lining) which I think relates to the liver mets.  Have not heard much about anyone else having this development on this site or others.  All in all I think this is much a waiting game and taking it a week or so at a time.  Fatigue is my biggest enemy although I continue to work 20 hours per week thanks to my wonderful and understanding employer and clients.  We just have to take all of this as it goes, understand that it it OK to slow down and enjoy life - that all that haste and hurry of the past is just that - past.  Enjoy your life and your family and know that we are all here to let it out to.  I find other friends are uncomfortable with the whole thing and the few that are OK are great.

Luv  Jaci

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Amanda

Just read your 12 month post... wow it sounds like  you have been through alot and continue to be positive, as well as allowing your feelings to surface so you can deal with them.  My children are 22 and 23 and they are extremely upset by my diagnosis I can't begin to imagine what it must feel like to have small children and have to deal with this shitty disease!

I'm hoping they are able to do something to relieve my difficult breathing as I am short of breath which stops me from being active.  I believe the chemo may help?  I'll wait till they admit me to hospital and address the breathing.  I saw that you have cancer in your lungs but do you have any difficulty breathing?  If so what has worked for you?

Susan

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Susan

I hope you are doing OK.  You asked about my breathing - I can't help you I'm sorry as I fortunately have been asymptomatic of my lung mets. Hopefully once the chemo kicks in you will have some relief with your breathing - let us know how you are going.

Much Love,

Amanda x

• Susan C
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Amanda

My breathing has improved with steriods and loads of asthma medication... doesn't do much for the steady hand though!  But great to be able to get that air in and out!!!!! 

All going well so far..  I did spend some time in hospital to get the breathing under control and the chemo started ... that was all a little too confronting .. just seeing people that were so sick and what my future may hold... but home now and glad to be.

Susan

xxoo