The first few days have been surreal

Ruth70
Ruth70 Member Posts: 17
edited April 2012 in Newly diagnosed

After being diagnosed with cancer in my right breast, I have watched my Family and friends at times just not cope with the news. I am surprisingly upbeat, have faith and confidence in my Surgeons, have a beautiful daughter, supportive loving partner, lovely Family, colleagues, friends... really can't want for much in my life other than to live through this.

I really fear the Chemo, and hope I don't suffer too much through the chemical warfare that will be raging in my body post surgery.

I am having a lumpectomy, Chemo and Radio, have another appt with Dr Caroline Baker on Monday morning where Chris will meet her for the first time.

Comments

• Shazinoz
    Shazinoz Member Posts: 307
    edited March 2015

Like you I was dreading chemo, really scared, We all hear the horror stories about chemotherapy, but the truth and reality haven't been as bad.

Like most things most people who don't have any troubles don't post, blog, or tell of the experience, so we don't hear about them.

For me Chemo hasn't been that bad. Sure a little nausea, a lot more fatigue, some pains, and a sore tongue etc, but all of it has been bareable with anti nausea med's and pain killers when the muscle/ joint pain gets bad, and the fatigue, I just sleep/ rest more and make sure I go for a walk around the block everyday (believe it or not it helps).

Also my surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (in general, my wounds healed well, got my range of motion back quickly etc, sure I suffered from complications due to my pre existing medical conditions (this was expected) - spent 14 days in hospital and still sleep in a hospital bed in my lounge room , but again this is because of 2 conditions I have which have meant my muscles are having a hard time learning there new position over the top of my silicone implant).

The main thing I can say to you about side effects from Chemo etc is to make sure you tell your treating team, your chemo nurses and medical oncologist, fo ANY side effects because they can help, with medications and things to help mitigate the side effects of the chemo (I have had another anti-nausea med added at the time of my chemo to try to stop the mild nausea, that I had after the 1st cycle.

Good Luck to you for your Surgery on Monday, I will think of you while I am having my 2nd cycle of chemo.

Just remember that like you, your family and friends etc also go through a tough time (althought you and your immediate family (partner, aprents and children) will go through it more - that is prefectly normal, but also don't feel that you have to assist them in their acceptance etc of it, as your coming to terms with it and helping your kids and partner etc is MUCH more important).

Again Good Luck (not that you will need it)for your surgery on Monday.

• chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015

Hi Rugh70

Sorry to hear that you to are going through this journey. I totally agree with Shazinoz, the comments are so true.

I am going through my first chemo on Friday, and will be totally scared. But I know its going to make me get better, so I know I will soldier on. I also need to have radiation also, and me to have had surgery on my right breast and lymph nodes removed on 21/3/12.

We all have someone that will help us in our tough times. But also remember we are all here as well. So post away on the website.... I have found the girls fantastic and so encouraging.

Good luck and we will all be thinking positive thoughts your way. Keep posting.

Love and hugs your way, Julie XX

• chipmunk
    edited March 2015

Hi Rugh70

Sorry to hear that you to are going through this journey. I totally agree with Shazinoz, the comments are so true.

I am going through my first chemo on Friday, and will be totally scared. But I know its going to make me get better, so I know I will soldier on. I also need to have radiation also, and me to have had surgery on my right breast and lymph nodes removed on 21/3/12.

We all have someone that will help us in our tough times. But also remember we are all here as well. So post away on the website.... I have found the girls fantastic and so encouraging.

• chipmunk
    edited March 2015

Hi Rugh70

• Ruth70
    edited March 2015

Thank you Kay. It is reassuring to be in contact with others that unfortunately share this disease. I am busy preparing for next weeks surgery, and also to have a large amount of time away from my business. I am looking forward to being more in contact when I am in recovery. Thank you for your words of support

• Ruth70
    edited March 2015

Thanks Julie, sending lots of calming thoughts and strength your way. I look forward to being a contributor amongst many, and hope I can pass on positivity and strength. 

• Ruth70
    edited March 2015

Sharon, I wish you all the very best, sounds like you endured some challenges, so wonderful that you would reply to my little post. Thank you for your words of encouragement and support, I will no doubt draw strength from the wonderful community here, and hope to contribute as well. Ruth