Help finding a Breast Reconstruction/plastic surgeon melbourne

Options
Louise Scott
Louise Scott Member Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in General discussion

I am searching for a plastic surgeon in Melbourne to have my remaining breast removed and bilateral reconstruction via TRAM or DIEP procedure. Can any one suggest some one for me -  public or private consultants OK?

Comments

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015
    Options

my plastic surgeon is Dr Derek Noeh and works in public at maroondah hospital (ringwood) 

not too sure if he does different hospitals etc... but his good and a perfectionist. 

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a consultation with Hamish Farrow in Hawthorn - he also does talks for Breacan.  Was going to do a Diep flap but got diagnosed with secondaries so cancelled recon.

Best Wishes.

• Louise Scott
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sally

Thank you so much for repying but Dr Noeh doesn't appear on the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons register.

Louise

• Louise Scott
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. All the best with your journey.

• Louise Scott
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to reply and great to hear of the good nursing care. Thanks

• pennyy
    pennyy Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Louise,

I don't know Sian Fairbank, but I had Scott Ferris who works in East Melbourne.  He was fantastic - I cannot fault him at all.  He works privately, but I think he does do some public work at the Alfred.  These operations are usually pretty big and often have two plastic & reconstructive surgeons.  I also had Damien Grinsell in the operation who also visited me whilst in hospital, but I didn't see him outside of hospital pre or post operatively.  Damien works privately too, in East Melbourne & Essendon, and I think does public work at St Vincents Public Hospital.  I could not recommend these two highly enough.  They were both very understanding, encouraging and reassured me the whole way through the reconstructive process. 

You also mentioned at the start, you were looking for a plastic surgeon for the mastectomy - I don't think a plastic surgeon would do that, I think you still need the general / breast surgeon to do the mastectomy and then the plastic surgeons take over.  Be well advised that bilateral tram / diep flap reconstructions will be a VERY long operation 9+ hours, without the mastectomy.  Some plastic surgeons will do immediate reconstruction during the same operation as the mastectomy, but you should check because they won't do it if you need other treatment ie. radiation.

good luck, and remember, it will hurt like hell, but the pain passes and it does get better.  I am 5 weeks post surgery and couldn't be happier, although I still have a little discomfort, nothing that requires pain relief, but getting used to the new body!!

Penny

• pennyy
    pennyy Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Louise,

I don't know Sian Fairbank, but I had Scott Ferris who works in East Melbourne.  He was fantastic - I cannot fault him at all.  He works privately, but I think he does do some public work at the Alfred.  These operations are usually pretty big and often have two plastic & reconstructive surgeons.  I also had Damien Grinsell in the operation who also visited me whilst in hospital, but I didn't see him outside of hospital pre or post operatively.  Damien works privately too, in East Melbourne & Essendon, and I think does public work at St Vincents Public Hospital.  I could not recommend these two highly enough.  They were both very understanding, encouraging and reassured me the whole way through the reconstructive process. 

You also mentioned at the start, you were looking for a plastic surgeon for the mastectomy - I don't think a plastic surgeon would do that, I think you still need the general / breast surgeon to do the mastectomy and then the plastic surgeons take over.  Be well advised that bilateral tram / diep flap reconstructions will be a VERY long operation 9+ hours, without the mastectomy.  Some plastic surgeons will do immediate reconstruction during the same operation as the mastectomy, but you should check because they won't do it if you need other treatment ie. radiation.

good luck, and remember, it will hurt like hell, but the pain passes and it does get better.  I am 5 weeks post surgery and couldn't be happier, although I still have a little discomfort, nothing that requires pain relief, but getting used to the new body!!

Penny

• Hynda
    Hynda Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had a single mastectomy (done by Caroline Baker) immediately followed by skin sparing, DIEP flap reconstruction in January 2012 by Hamish Farrow. The operation was 9 hours. I was very happy with Hamish's work. He is a perfectionist and was able to recreate a breast that is exactly the same size and shape as my other breast. In a  bra you can't tell that it has been recreated. I was fortunate that they were able to still use my existing breast skin so my cleavage still looks great and unscarred (my scars are nearer my armpit).

Good luck with your surgery. Keep asking ariound to find the right suregeon for you!