My journey begins..

Options
Loulou
Loulou Member Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in General discussion
After coming to terms with those dreaded words.. "you have cancer...", I now find myself in a position ready to learn, share and talk with women in a similar place to the one I now find myself in. It is scary, but after reading some of the posts I find a level of comfort in knowing that I am not alone in this journey. In hearing other stories, you gain strength, encouragement and reassurance that what/how you are feeling is "normal" in this otherwise abnormal situation.

I was diagnosed on 17 February 2012 and after surgery, two rounds of chemo (2 to go), newly bald head, and with radiation on the horizon, I find myself finding an inner strength that I did not know existed. Don't get me wrong, the journey to date, has been hard, at times agonizing and seemingly insurmountable, but good days come and dark ones pass.

I am married, live in a regional area and have two inspiring daughters, aged 11 and 7. It is my girls and family that give me the courage, strength and hope that push me through those dark days.

I look forward to sharing, learning and supporting those involved with this network.

All the best
Lou

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lou, welome to this site. You will find lots of support and encouragement here. There is also a wealth of informataion here, so just ask. Congratulations on surviving the first 2 rounds of chemo. At least with the next 2, you know what to expect, which in itself, makes it not so scarey. I am now 18 months post diagnosis. At the beginning it is hard to imagine that you will ever get to the end, but it does happen, and surprisingly fast. I was bald, but have now had 5 haircuts since my hair started to return last September. I have also completed reconstruction with implants, a full 3 months ago. There will be many years of follow up from Drs, but these are mostly reassuring appointments, so not like the earlier appointments. I have opted for a double mastectomy, so now have 2 new perky boobs, that I am very happy with. Good luck with your "journey", and I hope it won't be too bad. Love
    Chris xx
  • Melg
    Melg Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lou
    I'm so glad that you found this site. It is full of amazing ladies and I'm sure through their stories and comments you will find strength, compassion and understanding. I feel so blessed to have had contact with such a wide variety of ladies, each sharing their very different paths as they walk the bc journey.
    I was diagnosed in oct with multiple cancers in both breasts. Had a bilateral masectomy then bilateral node clearance and have completed 4 AC chemos and am having my third of 12 taxol chemos tomorrow. I will have 6 weeks of radiation on my left chest wall and neck straight after chemo.
    I am proud to be a baldy, proud of my scars that tell my story and most importantly proud of my 3 beautiful children ( 21,19 and 16 ) who show me their love and support every day. Our children are the reason we are able to find the strength to keep fighting through the tough and challenging days and celebrate the little things in everyday life that make me us smile and laugh.
    Sending you lots of healing hugs as you complete your treatment.
    Take care
    Mel xxx
  • Melg
    Melg Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lou
    I'm so glad that you found this site. It is full of amazing ladies and I'm sure through their stories and comments you will find strength, compassion and understanding. I feel so blessed to have had contact with such a wide variety of ladies, each sharing their very different paths as they walk the bc journey.
    I was diagnosed in oct with multiple cancers in both breasts. Had a bilateral masectomy then bilateral node clearance and have completed 4 AC chemos and am having my third of 12 taxol chemos tomorrow. I will have 6 weeks of radiation on my left chest wall and neck straight after chemo.
    I am proud to be a baldy, proud of my scars that tell my story and most importantly proud of my 3 beautiful children ( 21,19 and 16 ) who show me their love and support every day. Our children are the reason we are able to find the strength to keep fighting through the tough and challenging days and celebrate the little things in everyday life that make me us smile and laugh.
    Sending you lots of healing hugs as you complete your treatment.
    Take care
    Mel xxx
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Lou, just to let you know, there is a fantatic book, called Breast Cancer, Taking Control. It is written by Professor John Boyages, who is a Sydney Oncologist with a specialty in breast cancer. It is very interesting, and written in layman terms, so very easy to follow. I bought mine at Dymmocks book shop for about $34. If you can get hold of it, you would find it a good read. All the best with your treatments. Love Chris xx
  • chipmunk
    chipmunk Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya

Thanks for the encouragement. I know things will get better, and this year will be a total writeoff, but hey! I am not going to let BC get in my way.

Julie XX