organising seroma

Options
georgiebz
georgiebz Member Posts: 75
edited April 2012 in General discussion

Hi all

Has anyone else had an "organising seroma"  I have been diagnosed with one and it is very large and sore.  Back to GP tomorrow to find out what they are proposing as treatment, draining it, or going back into to surgery.  Neither of which is appealing to me but I would lke to get rid of it.  Any advice experience of an "organising seroma" from anyone with would be great.  Georgie

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Georgie

I also have an organised seroma/hematoma.  It came from my original surgery back on 22/12/11.  I have had doctors at the hospital try and aspirate it 3 times now with no luck.  Once was under ultrasound.  What they have been able to remove went to pathology and came back with no bacteria in it.  I also have a superficial infection for which I have taken numerous antibiotics but it is still there. That came from my second surgery or drain on 19/1/12  It worries me because I am having chemo (number 3 FEC coming up next week).  My white cell count is already low and I have had to have an injection to boost it.

I agree with you that it is annoying and I also want it gone but I am sick of the pricking, prodding and poking and they have now said they want to treat it conservatively and one if I get very sick from it will they look at surgery.  If I have surgery they will have to stop the chemo and that is not a path we want to go down if we can help it.

I will be interested to see what your doctor says and see how you go.

I wish you better luck than me :-)

Mich x

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Georgie

I also have an organised seroma/hematoma.  It came from my original surgery back on 22/12/11.  I have had doctors at the hospital try and aspirate it 3 times now with no luck.  Once was under ultrasound.  What they have been able to remove went to pathology and came back with no bacteria in it.  I also have a superficial infection for which I have taken numerous antibiotics but it is still there. That came from my second surgery or drain on 19/1/12  It worries me because I am having chemo (number 3 FEC coming up next week).  My white cell count is already low and I have had to have an injection to boost it.

I agree with you that it is annoying and I also want it gone but I am sick of the pricking, prodding and poking and they have now said they want to treat it conservatively and one if I get very sick from it will they look at surgery.  If I have surgery they will have to stop the chemo and that is not a path we want to go down if we can help it.

I will be interested to see what your doctor says and see how you go.

I wish you better luck than me :-)

Mich x

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Georgie, I remember Chris blogged about her experience with a post-op haematoma a little while back.  You can read her blog here, if that helps: http://www.bcna.org.au/user/5378.

Good luck!

Di

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Georgie, I remember Chris blogged about her experience with a post-op haematoma a little while back.  You can read her blog here, if that helps: http://www.bcna.org.au/user/5378.

Good luck!

Di

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Georgie, you sound like you have the same thing that I had, and I wouldn't be wanting to wait till the 16th to see your surgeon, especially if it is getting harder and more painful. Mine grew very quickly, and it felt very weird. I may have had a slow leak happening over the previous days, but must have torn something while sleeping on my side for the first time. It scared me, as I could see a "third breast" appearing between my suture line and upper chest/ shoulder area. Because we were in Perth, and I was getting ready to go to the airport, we rang both my plastic surgeon and breast surgeon in Sydney. My PS said to go to the hospital and sort it out, and my BS said jump on the plane and come home. Because it had
    grown fast, I was worried about flying and what it would do, so did as the PS suggested and went
    to hospital. While they fiddled it just continued to
    grow till I couldn't put my left arm down. They
    talked of taking me to theatre and removing my
    expander, to which we baulked. We convinced
    the Perth plastic surgeon to speak with my plastic
    surgeon, and when we were comfortable that she
    would do the same as my fellow in Sydney, I went
    to theatre. They did remove the expander,
    cauterised the bleeder, removed the large clot,
    and replaced the expander. I spent 2 and a half
    days there, and came home to Sydney with
    another drain for a week. It was all treated
    seriously, and yours sounds like it is even bigger
    than mine was, so to have to wait another 3 days
    is a big ask. If you are interested, I can send you
    a photo of what mine looked like just before we
    went to the hospital. You can give me your
    mobile number either on here, or on a private
    message and I will forward it to you. At least it will
    give you an idea. All up I had a collection of
    about 1.2 litres of old and new blood. Good luck
    with everything. Love Chris xx
  • Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good on you, Chris, I was hoping you'd pop in! :)

Di

• georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chris

Thanks for responding to my post - I think that what have is very similar to your describing it as a third breast is EXACTLY how I describe mine.  It start over the suture line and has since expanded down to my nipple and up to my collar bone, it is hard and painful and to be honest I thought it might break the skin. After phone calls to my GP including two visits and a number of calls to my lovely breast care nurse Annie who managed to track down my surgeon who is on annual leave I was told to present at the A and E at the same hospital I had the surgey done.  After numerous blood tests and loads of prodding and poking and a visit from my surgeon ( who was on the way home from cleaning his boat) he and they have decided to treat it conservatively.. what that means is they have sent me home with a collar and cuff, bed rest and are hoping it will turn into "port wine" gotta love my surgeons desciptive  words!! and then he will aspirate it in a number of locations as it has compartmentalised.  More needles - bring on the valium to cope with that.  Surgeon said collar and cuff is to remind me (and those around me) that I am not to use the arm.  So I'm back at home on the couch with books, bad tv and some dvds.

I feel better emotionally now that he has seen it, now on more antibiotics and pain relief.  Back to see him Monday for reassessment.  Thanks again hugs Georgie

• georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich and thanks for your response,  at this time I am try hard not to think about the aspiration (it's my needle thing )  I think Nic - my surgeon was proposing to do it in his rooms but I'm really not sure at this point. As I have not yet started radiation I believe it will be put on hold for a short time until the breast is completely healed.  From my understanding there is a fairly large window from surgery to radiation treatment, between 4-12 weeks post surgery though will discuss this with Nic when I see him on Monday.  And yeah he is a pretty cool guy for someone I never wanted to meet.  He has a lovely sense of humour and is about 6 foot 8 tall and needs to duck when walking in and out of his office which I find comical.  He spent alot of time talking to us during my first consult not just about treatment but general things me, my work, my husband, his family, our dogs and sailing.  He apologised for being smelly as he had just come from cleaning his boat - I told him he should not have come in and he said it's the reason he gives to his kids about not becoming a Dr.  He kinda reminds me of Stephen Fry on tv he just has this lovely manner about him.

Hope things with you are on the up and up and yes spending time doing lots of nothing and trying to get my husband to do things he doesn't really want to do, washing, tidying up, making beds, emptying dishwasher etc,etc, however he has just come home with the biggest bunch of sunflowers ever and we are trying to find a vase strong enough and tall enough to hold them.  Take care and hugs to you Georgie

• georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich and thanks for your response,  at this time I am try hard not to think about the aspiration (it's my needle thing )  I think Nic - my surgeon was proposing to do it in his rooms but I'm really not sure at this point. As I have not yet started radiation I believe it will be put on hold for a short time until the breast is completely healed.  From my understanding there is a fairly large window from surgery to radiation treatment, between 4-12 weeks post surgery though will discuss this with Nic when I see him on Monday.  And yeah he is a pretty cool guy for someone I never wanted to meet.  He has a lovely sense of humour and is about 6 foot 8 tall and needs to duck when walking in and out of his office which I find comical.  He spent alot of time talking to us during my first consult not just about treatment but general things me, my work, my husband, his family, our dogs and sailing.  He apologised for being smelly as he had just come from cleaning his boat - I told him he should not have come in and he said it's the reason he gives to his kids about not becoming a Dr.  He kinda reminds me of Stephen Fry on tv he just has this lovely manner about him.

Hope things with you are on the up and up and yes spending time doing lots of nothing and trying to get my husband to do things he doesn't really want to do, washing, tidying up, making beds, emptying dishwasher etc,etc, however he has just come home with the biggest bunch of sunflowers ever and we are trying to find a vase strong enough and tall enough to hold them.  Take care and hugs to you Georgie

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

That is so beautiful.  It is the special times that make all the other mundane chores etc, of little importance.  You lucky thing.  Enjoy your obviously lovely hubby and children.  Oh and of course your cool doc hee hee  I wasn't so lucky to have such a cool doc but they were all really lovely.  :-)

Which state are you in in Aussie?

Mich x

• Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Georgie, I think you will find that the aspiration of your liquified clot won't hurt you too much. The area is probably still quite numb from your surgery, and this clot will be occupying a space between the skin and your tissue, so when the needle goes in, there should be little sensation. Good luck with the procedure. I think my surgery was required because I needed to travel. They told me that usually these things settle down by themselves. I was worried that the pressure from my clot was going to push my expander out of my chest through the excision line, and I didn't want to be between Perth and Sydney if that happened. Love Chris xx
  • Chris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Georgie, I think you will find that the aspiration of your liquified clot won't hurt you too much. The area is probably still quite numb from your surgery, and this clot will be occupying a space between the skin and your tissue, so when the needle goes in, there should be little sensation. Good luck with the procedure. I think my surgery was required because I needed to travel. They told me that usually these things settle down by themselves. I was worried that the pressure from my clot was going to push my expander out of my chest through the excision line, and I didn't want to be between Perth and Sydney if that happened. Love Chris xx
  • georgiebz
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mich

sorry about the late reply to your post.  I am on the gold coast - currumbin qld.  Hope things are going well for you I am off to oncology today for planning appt re: radiation. 

Take Care and HUGS Georgie