Decision

Aries
Aries Member Posts: 1 New Member
edited September 26 in General discussion
I have been diagnosed a second time the first was DCIS 3.5yrs ago, had a lumpectomy without radiation or chemo. Cancer has now returned in the milk duct 2mm. I am having surgery soon was given choice of total mastectomy or total nipple and aerola removal. His recommendation was mastectomy, I have chosen the later. Now wondering if I was offered radiation after the first surgery would I be in this situation now. Also not recommended for radiation after this current one. Not sure if I have made the right decision.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Gosh, @Aries - that is such bad luck :(   Did the surgeon say WHY he recommended the full mastectomy & not just the nipple/aerola removal?   Are you able to get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon?  Or have you already had the surgery?

What area do you live in (City/Town - you can add it to your profile by clicking on the 'lady' at the far right of the blue banner up the top, next to the envelope/message icon.)  Then members living nearby may be able to off suggestions re 2nd opinions ...

The 'what ifs' are tricky - as recurrence can happen whether you've had radiation or not, even if you've had chemo.  I know that I was offered 'no radiation' as a part of a trial - but I chose to have the radiation as mine was an invasive BC ... 

Have you been assigned a Breast Care nurse?  You should be able to chat to her about it - and definitely ask about radiation after this 2nd surgery - you should be seeing both a Radiation Oncologist as well as a Medical Oncologist (re hormone blockers) ..... IF you go ahead with the 2nd option, it might be wise to 'go for' the radiation as well?  But only your Rad Onc can really advise you on that.  (PS, record all your appointments so you can go over them again later on, if need be! It is difficult to remember everything that is said, otherwise ....)

I just know that I was prepared to have a mastectomy if the surgeon felt it warranted it, once he could see the extent of the cancer ..... so was pleasantly surprised when I came out with just the lumpectomy.  

Check out this post for lots of info on the forum too .... including tick sheets re your mental and physical health after surgery ...
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-new-online-network-members#latest

Take care & all the best.