Radio therapy and singing

Lynnym
Lynnym Member Posts: 3
Wanting to connect with and fellow  professional singers out there.
I am concerned that radiotherapy can effect the voice, I've already noticed some loss of breath through tiredness and effects of early treatment.
Wanting to know what has happened to others and what strategies you have put in place so you can still do gigs moving forward. Possible time lines etc of course depending on individual circumstances it will all be different.
Lynny M

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    Welcome to the forum @Lynnym ... sorry to see you join our select little group! 

Feel free to tell us a bit more of your treatment so far - your diagnosis, what surgery you've had ... just for background info ...

Make sure you raise this issue with your Rad Onc - and definitely mention it to the nurses when you go to get 'fitted up' for your treatment.  In the past, there has been mention of a 'lead apron' that 'may' be used during radiation to protect specific areas from the rays .... but usually the Rads are aimed much lower than the voice box .... 

@Blondy sings with a group ... she may have some insight there .... 

take care & all the best
  • Lynnym
    Hello Thank You.. 

I have had a Bilateral Lumpectomies one ductal and one lobular and full node clearance under left arm. Nodes under right have to be either radiated or surgically removed as well after my current treatment is done.

My sister passed away from cancer that had metastasized inter her back  in June she was only 5 years older than me....I am 52 ..she got her first diagnosis of BC when she was in her 30s.

Currently on red devil almost finished then 12 weeks chemo and then Radiotherapy then hormone therapy. 6 months of treatment.

I'm coping really well with the treatment. I will be having my first consult with radiotherapist on 22nd of October.

I am a creator and I love helping other people and making people smile. I am known for my flourishes of green colour...The Green Lady Of Warrnambool.

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 2,067
    Dear @Lynnym,

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 92
    Hi @Lynnym
    I don't sing professionally but have some singing training and have a degree in music (Arts). I've had the AC chemo then the paclitaxel then 6 weeks of radiotherapy.  I finished the radio about 10 days ago. I've started on the hormone therapy now...I sang for my radiotherapy team and waiting room after my last treatment ("I'm on my way" The Proclaimers). I've found the biggest effect on my voice so far is the fatigue,  it's starting to get slightly better now. I've also noticed that I have less power in my upper register (I'm an alto) and think perhaps that might be the hormone therapy, although I had a bit of that before I had my first injection of goserelin. Could be fatigue related too..Definitely discuss your concerns with your treating team as @arpie suggested.
    The good news is that as a trained singer if you're having left sided radiation using dibh (deep inhalation breath holding) you will ace it and have no issues with holding your breath during the radiation.  As a singer you're well used to controlling your breath, I had no issues with it either but others struggle apparently.
    Best wishes for your treatment,  it's a long haul but you will get through it! 

• wave
    wave Member Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm a singer and I feel it didn't affect my voice 4 years ago. I recorded an album! It did my lungs though I'm fine. Another singer friend had same experience and still sings well. Keep singing. It's good for your soul and fitness and strength.  I am going through a 2nd lot of breast cancer resulting in a breast reduction.  No more radiation. Best of luck songbird
  • wave
    wave Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Scar my lungd
  • Lynnym
    Thank you everyone!