An update on my situation

Options
terrifiedme
terrifiedme Member Posts: 7
What happened previously...

My doctor (GP) told me that I had breast cancer, then I saw the breast surgeon and she said it isn't cancer.

I do not agree that I don't have breast cancer. I have Ductal Carcinoma In Situ and another possible carcinoma.

I have an early form of breast cancer that requires treatment, and I'm going to need monitoring for the rest of my life. 

It sounds like the DCIS is part of a larger tumour that could be invasive. 

I have several lumps in both breasts. There were issues with both biopsies. With the first biopsy, not all of the lumps were biopsied because they couldn't see them under the ultrasound. With the second biopsy, I'm not sure if the radiologist biopsied the correct lumps (I can explain why).

One of the lumps in my left breast has gotten bigger and it is sore.

I have pain in my left armpit and I'm concerned that it is cancer in my lymph node. 

I have a tumour that has been growing on my ribcage. It has gotten bigger and it is now sore. 

I have been having problems with the breast cancer service at my local hospital for several months. I haven't felt supported by them. I have no confidence or trust in them. I requested a meeting with the Chief Medical Officer to talk to her about it. 

She gave me some options. I have decided not to continue with their service. And I have asked my doctor to refer me to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. My doctor kind of argued with me about it but in the end she agreed (she wanted me to go to the Monash Breast Clinic but I prefer to go to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre). 

My doctor also kept me waiting for an hour and 20 minutes and she didn't say anything or apologise. So I'm going to find a new doctor. 

I'm on a low income and I can't afford to see a private breast surgeon. I have enquired about it. The problem with it is you don't just pay for the consultations - you have to pay for everything: scans, biopsies, surgeries etc. And I don't have private health insurance. 

It isn't helpful to tell me that an early form of breast cancer isn't cancer. Some of the staff at the hospital have also been saying that it is benign but it is not benign. 

I think they should be focusing on the early detection and prevention of breast cancer. And they should be supporting me and helping me to make decisions about my treatment. 

I'm not afraid like I was. I feel much better after taking action.

Actually, is it possible to change my username? It doesn't reflect how I feel anymore.

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Wow @terrifiedme, this is dreadful treatment but good on you to keep pushing. It is very hard to have to advocate for yourself to this extent and exhausting too. It is good you have a new pathway forward and will have a good medical team now hopefully. Best wishes to you 
  • Spursy
    Spursy Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, @terrifiedme whose not terrified now, it sounds a shambles. Drs often are late and no you don't always get an apology. The biopsies should clear up your cancer diagnosis.  You can change your name on your profile section and chose edit. 
    Best wishes. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    edited March 24
    Options
    @Spursy and @terrifiedme - I don't think we can change our username as when I just looked it said I do not have permission to change that or the email address.  Needs to be changed by BCNA staff.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    edited March 23
    Options
    I’m sure you can, one of the BCNA moderators can help you. @Mez_BCNA
  • Spursy
    Spursy Member Posts: 11
    Options
    It seems as @Afraser said you have to contact admin. 
  • Cindi
    Cindi Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi @terrifiedme, I'm so sorry for your stressful situation, but good on you for sticking up for yourself, I've also become more brave as I've gone along on my journey and changed who I see, and much happier for it.
    Good luck. You've got us all here as back up now! keep us informed on how it goes.
    xx