Chemo timing

Options
MrsMorrisey
MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
Does anyone know why it’s ideal to start chemotherapy within 8 weeks of surgery?
What happens if you start later and if it’s so effective then why can’t you do it at anytime? 
What do you do if you have to have second surgery? 
More questions 😳😳

Comments

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 63
    Options
    I started chemo six weeks after the second surgery. It wasn't my decision to decide when to start. Everything was scheduled by referrals from BS to oncologist who organized the chemo sessions. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I started about five weeks after surgery, it was meant to be four but delayed due to a significant seroma. Timing may have to do with how quickly one heals after surgery, and the general view of treatment at the earliest opportunity to avoid further spread. Earliest opportunity however covers a lot - general
    health, evaluation of initial surgery, availability of chemo clinic space, oncologist’s preference to be around for at least the first chemo treatment, lots of things. Essentially you want to be as effective as possible in mopping up
    as few cancer cells as possible! 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    I had an eight week wait from diagnosis until surgery, then just over 7 weeks later I started chemo.  I was Stage 3, ER positive and HER2 Positive.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    My treatments were all very quick. Mastectomy 10 days after my finding the lump. Chemo 5 weeks after the surgery. I had Infusaport inserted 1 week before first Chemo session. I don't know if there is a highly recommended spacing for treatments. Probably as fast as available. Mine was ER +ve Stage 2 and Grade 3, Ki67= 50. I don't understand all of the decision making by the Drs. I believe some have Chemo before surgery.
  • JenD
    JenD Member Posts: 16
    Options
    I am presuming its statistical based around best average outcomes.   
    Ive had surgery now so figure chemo start time will be a balance between my recovery speed and chemo department triaging/scheduling.  
  • TaraJ
    TaraJ Member Posts: 37
    Options
    I started 4 weeks after surgery,