Finishing Chemo, starting radiation

Options
pennyb
pennyb Member Posts: 176
edited February 2012 in General discussion
Well, I never thought it would end, this horrible chemo is finally nearly over! Thursday is my last day, I am also going to have my scans for my radiation before I have my last chemo.
It's been tough going, lots of tears, many times I didnt think I would make it, but with help and support from my wonderful family and friends, and many of you wonderful, wonderful pink ladies I made it through chemo and I only have to be sick from it 1 last time! Yipee!!! Thank you wonderful ladies. Your support has been invaluable xxxxx

Comments

• Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well done Penny! Things will get better and better from here on in! Radiation treatment is pretty easy too, so good times are ahead! I've got a great covering of brown hair again now and I have my appointment next month to arrange new boobs. It's been nearly a month since I had my ovaries and fallopian tubes out and I feel really good. I'm three weeks in on the Femara too. I realized the other day that by the time I turn 49, I will have had 5 years on tamoxifen and 5 years on femara! Bloody hell. As long as I stay healthy, who cares?! Wishing you a dream run through radiation. xx Jane
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Better get that bottle of bubbly on ice for Thursday night! So glad chemo is almost over for you- radiation will seem like a walk in the park in comparison, I hope the last chemo isn't too hard on you- best wishes for Thursday.

love Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Better get that bottle of bubbly on ice for Thursday night! So glad chemo is almost over for you- radiation will seem like a walk in the park in comparison, I hope the last chemo isn't too hard on you- best wishes for Thursday.

love Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Glad to hear you are feeling good and your hair is back.Are you having the  Diep reconstruction?

Tonya xx

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

One last day of feeling rotten but then you have the rest of your life to cherish with your family.  Well done, it only seems like yesterday you came onto this site after being diagnosed, and now you are nearly finished.  Thats good going.  Stay positive. Cheers Jo xx

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Penny,

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have finally finished. You won't know yourself. The worst is behind you and radiotherapy is easy albeit draining. Everyday is a bit taxing. I have my 20/36 today and wishing it was all over.

Take care and I hope the last chemo is the best! Onwards and upwards.Thinking of you!

Love Alison

• Jo B
    Jo B Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations Penny!    You got through it.  Things are looking up.

Jo xx

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations Penny.  You are so close to the end of chemo and I know you've been through times when you thought it would never finish..... and tomorrow is the last! xx s

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Congratulations, Penny -- what a great milestone! :)

• Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options

After lots of research, I've decided that the diep recon is not for me. I'm thinking I'll have a mastectomy on the remaining breast then expanders and implants. If I wanted reconstruction on one side only, I would have maybe considered the diep or tram flap, but not for both. I already have problems with my upper back, so I don't think I should be risking any surgery there. I'll see what my surgeon says on the 14th March. Hope you're doing well. xx Jane

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes,I'm going well apart from the usual aches and pains and hot flushes.We leave for Europe in just over 2 weeks. I think I'm feeling abit like you regarding recon.But I thought it was difficult to put implants in if you'd had radiation.I suppose it depends on the surgeon and the state of your skin. I think if I was to get recon. later it would either be 1 diep boob (keep my other one)or lose the other boob and go 2 implants.Let me know how it goes on the 14th. Such a big decision,hey.

Tonya xx

• Cheryl D
    Cheryl D Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done on finishing chemo as it is the worst thing of all but be warned the radiation can also fatigue you big time, it creeps up on you so be a little prepared.

I have just finished after 6 weeks and am now sufferering the burns/rash and itches but would have this a million times over chemo so dont be scared, just be prepared for this little journey,

Cheers and best wishes

Cheryl

• Cheryl D
    Cheryl D Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done on finishing chemo as it is the worst thing of all but be warned the radiation can also fatigue you big time, it creeps up on you so be a little prepared.

I have just finished after 6 weeks and am now sufferering the burns/rash and itches but would have this a million times over chemo so dont be scared, just be prepared for this little journey,

Cheers and best wishes

Cheryl

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with Cheryl D, You will wonder what we are talking about until you start to feel really lethargic and want to sleep all day. Everyone is different but i was like that and it takes quite a few weeks until your back to normal . As for the burns, make sure you lather up as often as you can, it can only help. My skin was fine until the 4th week then i got burns which healed quite quickly  once your finished and have the correct  burn creams.  Loads of people dont burn or get lethargic so don't worry  to much it is easy as.

Cheers Jo xx

• jo1234
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with Cheryl D, You will wonder what we are talking about until you start to feel really lethargic and want to sleep all day. Everyone is different but i was like that and it takes quite a few weeks until your back to normal . As for the burns, make sure you lather up as often as you can, it can only help. My skin was fine until the 4th week then i got burns which healed quite quickly  once your finished and have the correct  burn creams.  Loads of people dont burn or get lethargic so don't worry  to much it is easy as.

Cheers Jo xx