Surviving the DIEP dive!

Options
PrisMay1
PrisMay1 Member Posts: 65
I’m now 3 weeks post op after a double mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction! It’s been a big recovery and I’ve still a way to go! 
I had my second BC diagnosis last June - same breast as 2007. I had another lumpectomy at the time as I couldn’t deal with having a mastectomy- my surgeon was very kind to me! My first cancer was a ductal grade 3 and this one was lobular grade 2. First time round I had surgery and radiation which left me with fibrosis.  The second round of surgery exacerbated that and my breast was mis-shapen and the nipple was getting drawn in making it very sensitive.  At the 6 month mark I had a mammogram and it was all clear but I still had ongoing anxiety that there was more cancer there that hadn’t shown up yet. I saw a plastic surgeon and got advice about what could be done.  In the end I elected to have the double.  One reason was my anxiety about further cancer but also if you’re going to have a DIEP you can only do it once.  
Anyway I’m recovering well - if slowly.  Wounds are healing and I’m getting more mobile by the day. I saw my breast surgeon the other day and while the pathology was clear there was a suspicious area in the lobular tissue in my left breast.  While not cancer it could turn into one in a couple of years so it’s confirmed for me that I’ve done the right thing!  Though I never thought I’d regret it - I just didn’t want to regret not having done it, especially now at my age 63. 
I have a goal to be able to travel in May to take a trip we had to cancel last year so that will keep me going!  

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,608
    Options
    All the best for your recovery @PrisMay1 - and I hope you enjoy your trip in May xx

Make haste slowly x

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,134
    Options
    Hi @PrisMay1
    I can relate to your story - I decided to have the double for two reasons, one I couldn’t stand the anxiety of wondering if it would “ arrive”   in the other breast ( especially as my large tumour was not picked up in a mammogram only 12 months prior) and also you can only do the DIEP once.
    When my breast cancer surgeon suggested it as something some of his other patients had done it seemed extreme but after I joined the private Choosing Breast Reconstruction group on here and read their stories and spoke to a couple of ladies who had gone this route I decided to proceed.
    It is an extremely personal decision but one I am happy with .