Coffee in Ipswich

Options
Locky1
Locky1 Member Posts: 5
Hi everyone, my name is Kerry and I am 70 years old. I was diagnosed with DCIS in May 2022. I’m currently wanting to find anyone interested in having a coffee and have a chat. Willing to travel if not too far. I also have a little dog named Charlie and can go for walks with your fur baby if you prefer. Please feel free to reach out. Thank you 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,608
    Options
    Welcome to the blog, @Locky1 It is a real roller coaster ride - and it sounds like you may have finished your 'active treatment' .... feel free to fill us in on your story so far!  xx

Where abouts are you?  You can add your 'general' location (ie city/town) in your profile, then those living near you will have an idea of catching up with you xx

I am 70 now (diagnosed at 65) and have my 5th year mammogram/Ultrasound tomorrow ..... last year was the first time that I didn't have a call back - so I hope it is the same tomorrow!!

I've made some wonderful friends on the forum & have met up with a few (as they travel thru my area) and also caught up with a buddy in a different state, which was a wonderful experience & I look forward to more 'meet ups' in the futiure!  

I hope you are doing well - feel free to check out this post that covers a lot of the areas on the blog .... including our furkids, gardens, art & craft & MORE!!!  Looking forward to seeing a pic of your fur-kid soon!
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care & all the best xx
  • Locky1
    Options
    Hi arpie
    yes I finished active treatment the end of last year but my first mammogram in april showed something and I waited four months to find out if I needed a mastectomy after a lumpectomy, luckily I didnt.  I had chemo and then RADs the end of last year.  Got through chemo all right but radiotherapy was horrendous mainly because where I had it were positively horrible and am still having nightmares.  When I was diagnosed I was determined to get through it well with my sense of humour intact but this lasted only untill my first appointment at radiotherapy.  Did I get a dud lot or are they all like this.  
    Anyway I thought a cuppa and chat would help.  I live near Ipswich which for anyone who doesn't know is 45 mins west of Brisbane.  I have three children and three grandchildren and three greatgrandchildren and seem to have spent my life looking after kids although I did work most of my life too.
    I have been reading posts for a few months and decided to put my first post on last week because I cant find a face to face group around here that lasts very long.  Will post a picture of my fur friend as soon as I work out how, he is a minature poodle.
    Hoping to talk again soon thank you arpie.

• Daina-BCNA
    Daina-BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 31
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi @Locky1 - I hope some of the members from the network and potentially around Ipswich reach out to you either on this post or by private message. In the mean time, I will have a dig around for any groups around the area that we may know of, but glad you took the time to jump in and posted an introduction - it can be a little daunting at first but you will find the connection really important - I hope :-)    
  • Locky1
    Options
    Thank you Daina
    It very good to hear from you
  • arpie
    Options
    You've had a rough trot of it, that's for sure, @Locky1 :(  ..... It's a shame you had the hard times with the Rads .... most of us don't do it 'too tough' with the rads -  But most experience some sort of burning with the rads, somewhere along the line.  :( 

I've just had my yearly Mammogram & Ultrasound today - last year was the first year I hadn't had a callback & biopsies since my surgery. .... so I am hoping I don't get any crook news anytime soon! 

I've met up with a few BCNA members, passing thru my patch, over the years & have had an amazing relationship with some others, including meeting up in a different state to both of us, to catch up & have some laughs.  Cups of tea & a chat are a great way to break the ice & make new friends. xx

I hope some of our members up your way get in touch soon for that cuppa & a chat xx

take care - and feel free to message me, if you like xx to chat 'offline' xx

Looking forward to seeing your Furkid!  xx. Jump onto this thread & whack up some pics xx
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/214376#Comment_214376
  • Locky1
    Options
    thank u arpie
    I hope everything comes back with good news for you you must be very anxious. I will try to do pictures soon. It wasnt so much the Rads itself but the first appointment and the staff there they were all quite obnoxious.
  • arpie
    edited October 2023
    Options
    That's a shame it was the staff :(   I was SO lucky - everyone at Port Mac Rads was just wonderful, including my Rad Onc.  xx

Mind you, my first Medical Onc (a male) was quite obnoxious & I swapped very quickly to his 'locum' who then became permanent - a lovely Sth American Onc - who then looked after both my husband AND myself!!  She is a total breath of fresh air.  xx 

Take care & all the best xx.   I hope you hear from members up Ipswich way ...  let me know (via messaging) if you head south of Port Macq ....  I'd be happy to catch up with you xx
  • Locky1
    Options
    Thanks arpie I will do that 
    Have not heard from anyone yet