Surgeon First ?

MillyMolly
MillyMolly Member Posts: 5
Hello everyone. I’m still trying to get my head around things. I was only diagnosed this morning as a result of an ultrasound yesterday. It has been wonderful to find this site today.  I agree with those who have commented that it feels so strange.. Like being in a different dimension. Here is my question. There is no biopsy done but I have been referred to a surgeon. Should an oncologist be involved or will the surgeon arrange that ? The GP said both would be but I’m confused about the process, especially since reading here as it seems some people have chemo before surgery. 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,040
    I am so Sorry to see you join our 'exclusive little club' @MillyMolly - whack up any questions you have and we'll do our best to answer them, as we've 'been there' and 'done that'. xx. It really is a big emotional roller coaster - and your feelings can range from fear, to tears, to anger and anything in between! ... These are all totally normal reactions.  xx.  Take lots of deep breaths .... 

Usually the Ultrasound (or mammogram) report would suggest a biopsy on the tumour to identify the 'type' so that the surgeon has some idea of the type of BC .... Make sure you ask for copies of all your reports too from your GP, so you can keep a 'history' of your diagnosis.    I believe you would normally see the surgeon first - and usually a visit to an Onc after your pathology results are back after your surgery, as chances are, at the very least, you may go onto hormone suppressing tablets. 

But there is no need to 'get ahead of yourself' just yet, as it is just guessing and definitely stay away from Google!  Everyone's diagnosis is unique & a lot of stuff on Google is old & outdated & not relative to your diagnosis.   Some diagnosed with BC 'do' have chemo prior to surgery - but most don't - so try not to worry yourself about that.  

Feel free to jump onto this thread to read up a bit more about the forum - there are tips on what to take to hospital and even 'tick sheets' to 'self evaluate' how you are going ..... take them along with you to your team meetings.  

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care, try & keep yourself busy as you wait to see the surgeon .... you should also be assigned a breast care nurse (either your Surgeon's or a McGrath one.)   

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,696
    Welcome to the forum!  The forum and website is a wealth of information. 

Once determined the type of breast cancer the Surgeon will refer you to Oncologist if needed, surgery et cetera

https://www.bcna.org.au/resource-hub/articles/types-of-breast-cancer/

Deep breaths
    Best wishes 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,421
    edited October 2023
    My surgeon referred me to an oncologist. As it turned out it was an excellent referral but you can choose or seek a second opinion if you don’t feel the oncologist is right for you. Give him/her time, they may have news that you find challenging which isn’t an ideal
    start but ultimately you are going to be with your oncologist for a while and it’s important you see eye to eye on major issues. As I said, my referral was great and many are. 

I had surgery before chemo. If a particular cancer may respond well to chemo, it may be used first in order to reduce the degree of surgery. In my case it was important to remove the cancer as soon as possible. There are many kinds of breast cancer and treatments vary. So it’s more likely than not that you won’t have the same treatment as someone else with breast cancer. Also
    likely you may not react the same way to a particular treatment. 

It’s all a bit of an exercise in taking one step at a time, asking questions (this website is a good place to do so) and having trust in your medical team. Things will get clearer, once you have a clear diagnosis and a treatment plan. Deep breaths, it’s a whole new ball game but like so many before you, you can discover reserves of strength and yes, humour, you never knew you had. And recover. Best wishes. 
  • MillyMolly
    MillyMolly Member Posts: 5
    Thank you guys. This is so valuable, I am unable to relax at all tonight but reading your answers is so soothing xx
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 509
    Try not to panic, easier said than done.
    I'm sure that we have similar journeys, but there are always differences.
    I expect that you will need a biopsy, and that will most likely be done by the Surgeon.
    He or she make a plan for you re appropriate treatment.
    Not everyone has Chemo. And not everyone has surgery before Chemo, some have Chemo first.
    It really depends on the biopsy result.
    For me I had my biopsies done at the U/S place. They must have seen something highly suspicious. I don't know how often they do biopsies , but I consented.
    They did a core biopsy on the breast and a fine needle biopsy under my arm. In hindsight they must have seen something there, as I did have a positive Lymph node.
    It was my Breast Surgeon that gave me my results. In my case a Mastectomy with Axillary clearance was the recommendation. Next visit to the Surgeon gave me the Histopathology ie more detailed information about the cancer size and clearance. In my case I was then referred to an Oncologist. It was him that chose my Chemo and made a referral to R/T. My Surgeon also put in a Infusaport, before Chemo started. My Surgeon and Onc communicated well with each other. This was in the Private system and in South Australia. 
    You may not need all of this treatment. You may not need anything if the biopsy isn't cancer.
    You really need to take one step at a time. It is normal to be anxious.
    Good luck with the Surgeon and results.
  • Rowey
    Rowey Member Posts: 38
    Hi @Milly Molly .My experience began with my GP when I found a lump. She immediately referred me for mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. When the biopsy results came through as positive, she immediately referred me to both a surgeon and oncologist. These professionals liaised with me and each other to determine my best course of action as suggested by my results. I was also discussed at a multidisciplinary team meeting with other professionals (radiation oncologist, pathologist, etc). Through this process and being kept informed by all parties and also my breast care nurse, I felt very much supported and confident in the decisions made. All of this was in the public system, and in a regional area. We are very lucky in Australia!!
    All the very best as you navigate the next stages