Tamoxifen and long flights

Options
TonyaM
TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
edited February 2012 in General discussion

I have just had a full week of checkups and tests. You girls know the drill - pap test,blood tests galore,hip xray(cos it's been aching for months) and finishing with the oncologist"s visit today. I am soooo relieved that everything came back normal. My oncologist is keeping me on Tamoxifen and doesn't want to see me now for 12mths - which is always a good sign! Hubby and I fly off to Europe in March for 5 weeks so I asked my oncologist if I should stop Tamoxifen prior the long flight. I was abit surprised when he said no.He reckons there shouldn't be DVT problems if I move around the plane etc. So girls,I was wondering, have any of you  been told otherwise or better still,been on a long flight whilst on Tamoxifen??

Tonya xx

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tonya,  Never even gave this a thought - I actually saw another GP who wrote a letter stating all of my medications.  He never said anything.  I will ask my own GP next week.  We are supposed to fly out on 14th Feb - depending on my husband's INR's  being up.  Thanks for the info.  What made you think that there might be a problem?  I actually have a blood disorder where the clotting factor is deficient so I should be okay.  I bought the stockings though. XLeonie

• KayP
    KayP Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya
    I had 3 weeks in Europe in October and had no problems with Tamoxifen other than the pre existing side effects.
    I went to a physio and ordered the pressure garments for my arms and just got my GP to give me a letter recording all the drugs I was carrying.
    None of the doctors said anything other than doing the exercises recommended by the physio and taking regular walks around the plane.
    I hope you have a wonderful time!
    Regards
    Kay
  • MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Woo hoo on the clear check up and the upcoming trip - have a wonderful time.

Amanda xx

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Woo hoo on the clear check up and the upcoming trip - have a wonderful time.

Amanda xx

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

well done you!  AND a trip to look forward to.  It's so encouraging to read a positive story - you've been so supportive to me and now it's time for you to have some fun.

I spoke with each of my doctors about long haul flights and they all said that as long as I moved regularly and wore pressure stockings there would not be anything more than a minor increase in risk.  They each actually encouraged me to get back to London and to do the travel I want.  Say hi to Europe for me, you lucky thing! xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the info you collected Susie.I'm sure it won't be long before you are flying off too.We won't be going to London this time.Flying straight to Vienna and touring Germany,train to Paris,plane to Athens to do a Greek island cruise,fly to Istanbul(5 days there)then onto Dubai for 3 days then home.We are revisiting a few favourites (from 30 years ago!)and then seeing some new places.My husband has done all the organizing and I'm afraid I haven't been very enthusiastic.But now I am getting excited since all my tests came back clear.I was really starting to worry I had cancer of the hip but now I can forget about it .Hope all is well with you.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think you are right - it's 50/50.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks all for your good wishes and travel info.It seems like there are different opinions from doctors about this topic. I'll have a good think about it and go with my gut feeling.

Tonya xx

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tonya - what a brilliant trip your husband has planned for you both - he's a winner!  Go with a clear heads (and bodies!), free from the worries and enjoy yourselves.  Travel safe. xx

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yeah for some great news at last. What a great reward - a trip to Europe! Enjoy every moment and thanks so much for being such a wonderful source of information and support. Let us know how you go with Tamoxifen and flights. It was also something I've never considered either. I knew the hospital stockings may come in handy again one day - LOL!!!

Take care and congrats again on your results.

Love Alison xxx

• Ann-Marie AK
    Ann-Marie AK Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya
    Congratulations on your "all clear" results. What a relief for you.

Your holiday sounds wonderful, enjoy!!!!!

Love Ann-Marie xoxo
  • Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tonya
    Congratulations on your "all clear" results. What a relief for you.

Your holiday sounds wonderful, enjoy!!!!!

Love Ann-Marie xoxo
  • TonyaM
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Ann-Marie,I am now looking forward to it. I hope you have recovered and are still pleased with your new boobs.Hope 2012 is a good year for you.

love Tonya xx

• Ann-Marie AK
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Tonya

I am feeling really good. Just spent a month in Lorne, which was great, and am now busy settling my kids back into school. My eldest has just started secondary school which is very exciting. I am also sporting a funky new hairdo - will update my profile pic soon. It's nice to have ditched the wig, especially with the summer heat.

Love Ann-Marie xoxo
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Look forward to seeing the new "do" XLeonie