Mastectomy pain

Pammy46
Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
edited February 2023 in General discussion
Hi everyone I’m day 10 from double mastectomy with some skin saved for reconstruction. I have pain on both underarms and the cuts are so tight.. they are at the bottom of breast straight across and under arms.. How long till pain gets better?? I see surgeon next Tuesday do they take the waterproof tape off then? The under arm that’s sore is the one I had radiation on 6 years ago and 3 lymph nodes.. I don’t think things are draining properly as I have a small seroma there as well.. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Comments

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @Pammy46,
    Hope things get sorted soon

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi @Pammy46
    Everyone us different ( as my breast care nurse told me many times).
    I had bad pain for 6 weeks after my mastectomy - had to take Endone - as I was not the sort of person to get aches and pains I found this really tough .
    Thrn one morning I turned a corner and was able to taper down to panadol which I took for another couple of weeks.
    So I hope you don’t have as much pain for as long as I did but if you do  it’s not abnormal.
    Take  the pain meds and of course keep your medical team informed about what you are feeling.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi @Pammy46,
    At 2wks post op I needed a seroma drained off and then the pain eased considerably. The tape usually just gradually comes loose in the shower.I was much improved by 3wks and could drive.This was my prophylactic mastectomy I had 6mths ago. The one I had 12yrs ago took longer to recover from  as it was following a previous lumpectomy and radiation. I had 6wks of seromas being drained and it took many months to settle down.It takes time- big gentle hug.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    All the best for your appt with the surgeon tomorrow @Pammy46 .... make a list of all your concerns & give him a copy (as well as yourself) and tick them off as they are addressed.

There are some 'tick sheets' that you could print off & go thru, marking your concerns as well (down the bottom of this page (as well as some general info on the Forum - and some threads you may like to check out - even some 'funny stuff' for a laugh! xx)
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Your wounds are still very fresh and 'settling in' .... 

Take care