Tamoxifen - what vitamin supplements are best to take?

Options
laurie123
laurie123 Member Posts: 30
Hello there
Wondering if anyone can tell me what are the best vitamin supplements to take whilst on Tamoxifen?  So far I am taking magnesium and Vitamin D, & a daily probiotic.  I am thinking I need something for hair and nails.  Is this the collagen one I hear of?  Or anything else that you've found beneficial?  Thank you for any help or advice.

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Hi @laurie123, best to talk to your oncologist about vitamins. However I was initially on tamoxifen and my oncologist put me on vitamin D and magnesium. My GP added to that when I changed from tamoxifen to Letrozole. So now I also take 4 fish oil per day. It helps me with the Letrozole joint pain I get in my hands. Best wishes to you.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Hi @laurie123
    Agree best to talk to your oncologist before slung any supplements.
    Also most of the big cancer centres ( like the Kinghorn and Lighthouse in Sydney where I am) have nutritionists who you might want to consider seeing.
    But it’s always good to get some ideas from ladies on here about what has worked  for them as a starting point for discussions.
  • laurie123
    laurie123 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.  I live in a large country town and the Oncology unit doesn't seem to offer much services ie Nutritionists, however I will double check this tomorrow.  I am getting confused as the chemist nutritionist said I could take a certain collagen, went back in there today and they said no best to take this brand collaged without such and such in it.  I don't trust it all and google is so hard!  I went to a dietician but again she is not a specific cancer dietician and although she was lovely, she had to read up on tamoxifen and vitamins. So I'll re-check with Oncologist office and perhaps even ring my breast care nurse to see if there is someone she can recommend I go to.  Tamoxifen is already giving me side effects 3 weeks in and I want to take anything I can to help my body through this!  Thank you again! x

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @laurie123

It does take time for the body to adjust!
    Sometimes taking supplements are not necessary as well as other factors like your overall health 
    Your Oncologist is the one to speak with to ensure whatever supplement you may need is compatible with Tamoxifen 

BCNA podcast link may help 

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/bcna-resources/podcasts/episode-38-hormone-blocking-therapy-balancing-quality-of-life-and-risk-of-recurrence/