Chemo - PORT or PICC

Options
Kin1223
Kin1223 Member Posts: 13
Hi, my oncologist suggested to place a PORT on me for all my chemo session.  I have a very fine and hard to find blood vein.  Just wondering anyone out there has/had experience with PORT?

Thanks!

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    Yes, I had my port put in with a local anaesthetic about two hours before my first AC chemo back in September 2016. I still have it, six years on as I have significant other health issues and it has been used a number of times for imaging (it's a power port and can take the pressure that's used to administer the contrast), as well as for IV lines and the like in hospital. Mine gets flushed and hep locked to prevent blood clots forming within it, every six to eight weeks. It has been a real good thing for me and has never flipped, become kinked, infected or created blood clots. I don't find accessing it painful, and in fact get more twitchy when having a finger prick to check blood glucose levels. Good luck with your treatment.
  • Kin1223
    Options
    @AllyJay - Thanks for sharing your experience.  I guess my biggest worry is infections.  Today is my first appointment with my oncologist, but my surgeon have spoken to her and she suggested a PORT to be use.  I will ask her more questions when I see her today. 

• noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    Options
    I’ve had my port now for 2.5 years .I’ve never had any issues with it (other than no qualified staff available to,access it when having planned surgery at hospital!!!!! Despite me asking before hand and trying to organise same)

it’s been a godsend . Makes chemo/ targeted therapy super easy -my veins wouldn’t have coped .I’m now stage 4 so treatment ongoing .I’ve never regretted it.I’ve seen PICC lines and they look cumbersome and not easy to manage .

I must admit though my neighbour who’s undergoing treatment for MDS/early leukaemia had a port inserted at a private hospital and has major issues with infection. IT can be a issue but most people I know with a PORT do ok and don’t have infections 
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi, I have had my port for three years and its the best thing ever, I had it put in under twighlight sedation in hospital,it has never given me any trouble I am 9 and a half years in with Metastatic breast cancer and have been on chemo both oral and iv currently iv three times a month, I have what is called snakey veins and its so lovely to just go and sit in the chair, they open the port and in goes the chemo infusion,its a much better option for the nurses as they dont have to go poking around for a vein, a very clean process for both patient and staff, it has never given me a problem at all,it was at my oncologists recommendation and done by a collegue of his at a public hospital,i can also use for blood tests and cat scans when they put in the contrast,I forget its there and if and when it can come out but I am very happy to leave it be, it has never given me or the nursing staff cause for concern, but its a personal choice, I have never had any issues with infection and if and when I go off of iv infusions and maybe go back on oral, it just means a trip to the local hospital every 6 or 8 weeks to the chemo suite to have it flushed out to keep everything okay.
    Good luck,

wendy55
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Hi @Kin1223, I didn't have a port at all. My veins were good so I just had a casual put in for each chemo session. I had 12 rounds. If veins aren't good then go the port. 
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Dear @Kin1223
    I have a port (power port), it’s the best thing ever, virtually pain free to use, the nurses can also give you a patch to pop over it one hour before they need to access it which prevents any pain. I have good veins but they didn’t cope with the chemo. Ive had the port for about 3 years. I’ve not had any issues with infection. In my opinion, my port is so much better than having to get veins accessed regularly  :)
    best wishes  <3
  • Kin1223
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experience.  My oncologist had look at the massive bruising on my arm and said strongly recommended me go with the PORT.  Considering I am going to start my chemo in Jan for 6 months I think PORT is the better option for me.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Kin1223,
    You have got some very helpful and encouraging replies above from our network buddies. Hope all goes well for you

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Oh gosh, yes go the PORT especially if you have very fine and hard to find veins..  Wishing you all the best.