Break from Arimidex

Options
jayjen
jayjen Member Posts: 16
Haven't been around for a while. Been on Arimidex for 7 years 8 months. Had several falls. Broken bones. Never had a broken bone until Arimidex. Last fall knocked my confidence. Ended up falling in the middle of the road, broken wrist, bad bruising. Couldn't get up until some wonderful people stopped and helped. Virtually carried me to the footpath.

Is falling a part of hormone therapy? I just fall, don't trip on anything, just walking along and then bang I hit the ground. Have seen so many 'ologists' including neuro, cardio etc. My oncologist can't answer my question. He has put me on a four month break but wants me to continue the hormone therapy for at least ten years, if not the rest of my life. I had a very aggressive, grade 3c and full axilla clearance.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    @jayjen

Has your oncologist suggested a change of hormonal therapy? I’ve been on letrozole for over nine years and have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, which often feel less than normal! I have had a couple of falls in that time, both with good reason, and no breakages, just bruising. I have my bone density checked regularly and while it has declined (age is a factor too) it’s still OK (just). I have never suffered bone or joint aches and pain which some letrozole users do encounter. Best wishes for some relief. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    I am so sorry you've had these falls - that fall on the road & injuries would have been horrific.  I hope you are recovering OK from it xx. I am so glad someone helped you. 

I've been on Arimidex/Anastrozole for about 4 years now & I've not noticed a change in my balance (other than at nearly 70, definitely not able to stand on one leg anymore with my eyes shut!!)   I am putting that down to 'general ageing'.

I am currently on a 5 week break tho, as my joints were beginning to ache badly again - specially my right hand, which is back in a splint ..... 

Have any of your 'ologists' given you a full body MRI/CT to get a full picture of your whole body? It is always good to have a 'reference point' on your body anyway - so if not, put in a request that one is done.  If one of the Ologists says no - try another one. ;) 

Take care & all the best xx