Young People Caring for Sick Family Members

Options
I was recently at a Variety Ladies Luncheon and was taken back by a young woman, Madeline Buchner OAM, founder of Little Dreamers.   Little Dreamers came out of her life experience which is amazing and inspiring.  At 9 years of age Madeline identified a gap in the support system for young people who cared for sick family members.  She grew up alongside her brother who suffered multiple chronic illnesses, and her mother, now a breast cancer survivor.  

Personally I empathise with Madeline as I too was a young carer when I lost my mother at the age of 7.  How wonderful it would have been to have a support resource back in the 60's

Today Little Dreamers is a leading young carer organsation supprting young people who provide unpaid care for family member affected by disability, chronic or mental illness, addiction or frail age.   

If this strikes a cord with you, check out Little Dreamers.org.au.  

Happy Easter
Karen
Survivor 16 years

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    Wow!! I've never heard of Little Dreamers!!  What a fantastic resource for those kids who are helping family members ,... here's a link to the programs that are available ..... mentoring, holiday activities & more:

https://www.littledreamers.org.au/programs/

Happy Easter, @Karen_C

• Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 874
    Options
    Thankyou for information @Karen_C, I have distributed with the Member Support Team. Very valuable organisation