Strange symptoms after mastectomy

Options
Sue_w
Sue_w Member Posts: 123
edited August 2021 in General discussion
OK I know this is a real thing because I searched it and found it described in a thread overseas.
Ever since my mastectomy, I have had a very strange feeling every time I have a drink. Hot or cold it doesn't matter. Sometimes it's enough to take my breath away. Sometimes mild, sometimes almost painful. Nothing really to complain about but the strangest feeling! It sort of feels like a sudden rushing waterfall of ice water behind my ribs that washes down my chest on the side of the mastectomy.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 915
    Options
    Oh wow I haven't heard of that.   Sorry to hear you are experiencing that.
  • Sue_w
    Options
    Its not exactly painful, just very very strange feeling! One of those things they don't tell you about. I did find a thread on an English BC page about it. Everyone on it said "Yes me too, I thought I was going crazy!" or something similar. I wondered if anyone on here had it too
    Apparently it's because of nerve damage from when the lymph nodes are removed. First time it happened I thought I had spilt my drink down my front.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Definitely about the nerves.  For me my armpit always felt wet.  Nerve damage 

• Sue_w
    Options
    Our bodies sure throw off some strange sensations while trying to heal themselves!

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    For me,it was an itchy nipple that wasn’t there!
  • Sue_w
    Options
    Phantom boob syndrome! I hear you!

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    I have gone to 'flip' the boob more comfortably back into to bra to find there is no boob (or bra) there 😂😂😂😂
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    My 'phantom' movement was to sweep my hair to the side before I sat down...when I was as bald as a billiard ball. Photo before chemo explains why this was necessary...otherwise I'd sit on it, or it would get slammed in the car door.
  • Sue_w
    Options
    Wow @AllyJay I was never able to grow my hair that long! Yep, I can certainly understand why you'd be getting those feelings

• Sue_w
    Options
    Hi @June1952 It takes you by surprise sometimes when you forget it/they aren't there anymore. LOL
  • StrongCoffee
    StrongCoffee Member Posts: 128
    Options
    I scratch a spot on the back of my neck and it gives me a sharp pain in my non-existent nipple.

Nerves are weird!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I get itchy nipples and scratch in mid air to relieve the itch... Had no nipples now for 9 yrs after double mastectomy .... 

• Sue_w
    Options
    When covid lockdowns are over, I'm going to have to keep reminding myself that it is NOT appropriate to rub your mastectomy scar in public! 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    oh Hell I still do that and then think oh oh I am in public 

• Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Sue_w I have had the exact same sensation. Only with cold drinks though. It made drinks in the middle of winter unpleasant so I started warming up water to drink it. I’ve never had it before! It hasn’t been as noticeable the last few weeks but I’m not sure if that’s because the weather is warming up though.