Home Newly diagnosed

Hi from West Gippsland

MotherOfCatsMotherOfCats West Gippsland Member Posts: 7
Hi. DXd Aug 3 with IDC ER/PR- , HER2+ (3+) ...waiting now for MRI and other scans and blood tests. Scared shitless. Alone. Occupying my freaked out brain by planning. Am VERY sweary.

Comments

• AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,889
    Hi @MotherOfCats

Plan away, good for occupying the mind. You’ll change those plans a few times (often for better ones!) so they are excellent time crunchers. Swearing’s fine too. Most people will
    understand but often best to keep the worst of it for people you may not need on your side! BC is rough and it’s unexpected and it doesn’t fit your schedule (you are talking with someone who tried to arrange her first chemo around her very busy schedule!!). It’s really hard for planners but it’s one step at a time time! One test at a time, one procedure at a time. If you’ve ever toyed with meditation, or yoga, or just breathing deeply, now’s the time. Science and medical knowhow is on your side. Once you get some treatment planned out, it becomes a little clearer. Alone is hard, but the network is a good place to talk, vent a bit, ask questions. Best wishes. 
  • June1952June1952 Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,444
    Hi @MotherOfCats - Welcome to the club none of us thought we'd ever join.  We can all understand your frustration and anger.  Some ladies who have had the same diagnosis will be sure to come on and chat with you.
    You say you are alone - do you have a 'bubble buddy' with whom you can spend some time ?  This lockdown will be making the diagnosis even harder for you.
    This is all do-able, take it one step at a time and don't get ahead or Google as much of it won't be in your future.
    Come on-line and chat/vent as you need to.
    Your cats will be your sanity as mine are for me !  😺
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 6,122
    Hi @MotherOfCats - I am so sorry to see you here - you are in the right place for support and information, as we've been there and know just how scary it is  .....  try NOT to use Dr Google as it is often outdated & irrelevant to your specific diagnosis!  Everyone's BC is 'different' and the treatment & prognosis is different too.

Take DEEP breaths .... slow that heart rate down .... ask away on anything - there are no silly questions!

Try & keep BUSY in between appointments - to stop your mind from going off on it's own tangent ..... I just fished every day between my GP finding mine, the tests & the diagnosis, then the wait for surgery! 

Jump onto this post to read a bit about the forum & as you'll see about half way down - we even manage to have some fun & even a bit of a laugh as well!!   Feel free to put up pics of your Furkids, your garden, your arts & crafts ..... we all need our 'safe space' bolt holes ......  
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

take care xx
  • Cath62Cath62 Brisbane Member Posts: 787
    Hi @MotherOfCats

I totally get how frightening it all is. I was diagnosed last yr during lockdown and had some of my chemo treatment during another lockdown. It sucks! I think when I was diagnosed I cried for 2 weeks.

I felt better once I had surgery and they cut that bloody cancer out. Once that part was done some stress left me. I am a planner and yep it's not easy at the start of it all but once I had my treatment plan I really felt we were then doubled something and getting somewhere. I had chemo, radium and now tamoxifen but my pathology was different to yours. They will use your results to work out your treatment. 

All the advice above is good. If you can get a little exercise it helps and some relaxation stuff like yoga, meditation or just music can help. Keep busy too as it stops your brain running away thinking of all the scenarios. Try to stay in the present moment.

Set up your support network. Who can be there to chat with you when you need, online or in person when possible. This forum really really helped me. We can say anything and everyone gets it. It helps to vent, ask questions etc.

It's going to be ok. I know when I got my news I kinda thought it was catastrophe but the drs  breast care nurses etc are amazing and you have to trust their expertise. The other suggestion i would add is you can always call the bnca hotline too. They are really helpful. It can also help to talk to a counsellor about it all. Your dr may be able to point you in the right direction there. It is definitely alot to process for sure.

Be kind to yourself. Do things that you like and keep reaching out. Sending you a big hug 🌺
  • StrongCoffeeStrongCoffee Member Posts: 112
    Just wanted to say hi! I'm about 30 minutes from Warragul, heading towards Phillip Island. So more South Gippy than West - but pretty close!

I was diagnosed in March this year and it's been quite the whirlwind since then. I agree with the advice to keep busy. It was probably lucky that I'd rediscovered my love of painting last year, so I used that a lot to both stay busy and also process some of my thoughts and emotions. Even mindless phone games like solitaire can be better than googling or social media where it feels like every advert is something about breast cancer!

Do ask as many questions as you need to. I also find the search function on here works well at finding similar questions to the ones I have have.
  • ZoffielZoffiel Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 3,309
    Hi @MotherOfCats

There are a few very sweary folk on here, so rest assured you are not alone in that regard.

I'll go out the back and have a good burst of expletives on you behalf, if that will help at all. Frightens the bloody kurrawongs (who are thieving gangster thugs) if nothing else.

Hang in there. MXX
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 6,122
    Maybe we should have a 'Swearing Group'??   What do you think?  Let it all out at the top of our voices??

I reckon I'd be up there with the best of them!   ;) 

Letting it out in the car is a good way of not offending too many - unless your windows are down! LOL .....
  • MotherOfCatsMotherOfCats West Gippsland Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone ... thanks for the very warm welcome to such a shitty feckin' situation in the middle of a deadly raging pandemic ⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘
  • LocksleyLocksley Macedon Ranges, VictoriaMember Posts: 796
    Welcome to the club no-one wants to join.  Be kind to yourself.   
  • AllyJayAllyJay Member Posts: 870
    Hi there @MotherOfCats...Indeed a shitty situation, to say the very least. I'm another of those 'cat ladies' who had (ahem...don't tell...one cat for each day of the week, plus one spare), at the start of my particular shitfest, back in 2016. Down to four now, and I think I need a topping up... the place feels empty. In times gone by, we were allowed a certain amount of latitude, shall I say, in the use of the occasional profanity. However now, it seems that we can no longer tell our cancer to ****off...we have to use stars (which anyone over the age of six knows what the 'naughty ' and 'unladylike' word is) and instead, we have to advise our cancer to become sexually active and travel.   Aaah...the good old days. Anyhoo...welcome. Ally.