8 days post op Unilateral DIEP FLAP- questions

Options
Ctrelany
Ctrelany Member Posts: 31
Hi Everyone. I had unilateral R mastectomy , sentinel lymph biopsy and immediate diep flap (skin and nipple sparing) April 30th. Initial surgery went well. I was under for 5hrs 50mins. Overnight the breast swelled and got very hard (no pain though), Surgeon wasn't too happy when he saw it in the morning and it was checked throughout the day. By the end of the day it was bursting some stitches around the nipple, and back to theatre we went. There was a micro clot (0.3mm) blocking the drain, he released that and flushed the foob with heparin. It felt much softer to begin with but began to get hard in certain areas and get quite lumpy- again no pain. Once week later it feels very lumpy. My question is whether this is normal? My surgeon obviously had me closely monitored including dopplers ever 1/2 hr- 4 hrly but the time I was discharged yesterday and the `heartbeat' was very strong so obviously a good blood supply. I know you get get fat necrosis and this will get reabsorbed over the months ahead, but did other people experience the lumpiness? One of my nurses compared it to breast feeding mum boobs- but not having had kids I've no idea. Any feedback is appreciated.