Home Health and wellbeing

Supplements

Garnet7Garnet7 Canberra ACTMember Posts: 28
edited April 9 in Health and wellbeing
Hi Ladies,
Do you take vitamin supplements, as in a multi vitamin, vitamin D3, calcium, if so how much and morning or night, Thankyou 

Comments

• FLCloverFLClover Sydney Member Posts: 842
    Hello. I take vitamin D3 with calcium, curcumin with turmeric, magnesium, collagen and iron tablets. I take all these in the morning. I also drink Aloe Vera leaf extract juice
  • Garnet7Garnet7 Canberra ACTMember Posts: 28
    @FLClover, Thankyou so much for your reply, I wasn’t sure about it, my Rad/Onc seemed ok about Calcium and D3 (combined), my Med/Onc seemed a bit on the err side regarding Calcium having too much. Anyway I discussed with my GP and I bought D3 separate and Calcium separate then can adjust if need be individually and plus thought I’d have a multi vitamin. I’m out of treatment apart from hormone therapy tablets.  Once again thanks for your reply 🌹
    No problem @Garnet7 😊. I think checked with both my R and M oncos about these supplements, and they said it’s ok. I think I just need to ask about the curcumin and turmeric. I’m also planning on starting to take a greens powder produced in the US, that my partner told me about. It literally contains all supplements the body might need, from fruit, to veges, mushrooms, turmeric, spirulina, magnesium etc etc. You take that, and you don’t need other supplements. He said that when he was taking it while he had thyroid cancer, it shrunk the tumour. Couldn’t hurt to try, the stuff is all natural. 
    @FLClover, Thankyou, let me know or what it’s called. I was a bit concerned as another site sort of suggested some vitamins interfered with Chemo, but I didn’t have that, however concerned some may not be right for us. 
    This is the link @Garnet7

https://au.iherb.com/pr/Paradise-Herbs-Protein-Greens-Original-Unflavored-16-oz-454-g/17988

It contains everything you need, plus it’s alkalising. Perfect for us. I will double check with onc once I get it, but I’m 99.9% sure it won’t interfere with tablets 👌🏻
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,387
    Some supplements can react with medication - there’s a drugs and supplements checker on the Mayo Clinic site and of course it’s always wise to check with your doctor or oncologist. I do take some supplements but mainly those that have been proposed by my medical team. I am on an AI that tends to thin bone so vitamin D and calcium are useful, but I agree that combined tablets make it more difficult to vary dosages appropriately. 
  • AllyJayAllyJay Member Posts: 737
    I agree with @Afraser about checking first with your doctors about supplements. I see so many people writing that because something is "natural" it is safe and can be taken with no worries. Opium is natural, it comes from poppy flowers. Cocaine too, comes from the leaf of the coca tree. The toxins from a blue ringed octopus are also natural, but I wouldn't be taking any of these soon. In my case, I have to limit foods such as spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage and on it goes. These foods are high in vitamin k and interfere or cancel out my blood thinner medication. Theoretically, if I binged on spinach daily, I could throw another pulmonary embolism which could kill me.
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,387
    To add to @AllyJay’s comments, the taxane group of chemotherapies, including docetaxel and paclitaxel, come from yew trees! And you wouldn’t want to take that unsupervised. It’s also an awful waste to take medication, and have its benefits unwittingly undone by taking something else. 
    And Vincristine, which is a chemo drug used to treat some types of leukemia and Hodgkins lymphoma is derived from Madagascan periwinkle plants.....
  • Blossom1961Blossom1961 Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,828
    Spirulina is apparently the only food in the world that contains all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. This may not be 100% truth but may quite possibly be.
  • LocksleyLocksley Macedon Ranges, VictoriaMember Posts: 403
    @Garnet7 I take vitamin d for caliuim as I am now on Letrozole.  Have vitamin d in the morning.

@AllyJay I have 3 pulmonary embolism @ December 2020 and I wasnt advised to limit any foods such as spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage.   I probably eat spinach most days.    I will cut down a little.   Thank you for this info.
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,481
    The other to be mindful of some supplements,  say Glucosamine, are a blood thinner.
    If your body doesn't need it it's expensive wee!

The link below is a book I use.  

"Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal, An A-Z Guide of What to Eat and What to Avoid for Optimum Health by Reader's Digest | 9781922083661 | Booktopia" https://www.booktopia.com.au/foods-that-harm-foods-that-heal-reader-s-digest/book/9781922083661.html
    Hi there @Locksley...I have a condition called antiphospholipid antigen syndrome, an autoimmune disease which makes my blood "sticky". For this reason, I'm on Warfarin which is a blood thinner. Vitamin K is an antidote to the warfarin, so if, for instance, I was in a car accident and was bleeding +++, they would give me a vitamin k injection which would reverse the warfarin. If a person develops a blood clot from a different cause, such as being seated in an airplane for hours, or confined to bed after an operation, that is a different mechanism for the blood clot forming. I have my INR levels (blood clotting time) checked every two weeks. If I regularly wanted to eat foods high in vitamin k, I would have to eat similar foods and amounts of those foods in order for my warfarin dose to be calibrated to that level of vitamin k in my body. On the flip side, if I regularly ate vit k high foods, (and took a higher dose of warfarin for this) and then suddenly stopped eating these foods, my blood would be too "runny" and I might bleed badly. The thing is my intake of such foods has to be the same and stable and my meds calibrated to this. My point was that if I just went into a health store, and someone told me that XY or Z was a good thing to take...all natural you know... and I did so, in my case this could have serious repercussions. At the end of the day, just because something is touted as being "natural" and therefor harmless, is not always the case. Before I put anything in my mouth, tablet or supplement wise, i check with my doctor and pharmacist who know very well what drugs I'm on as well as my overall medical condition.
    Thankyou to you all for your input and replying, I’ll try and do some research, I’ll have the multi vitamin, D and maybe the calcium 2 or 3 times per week. My med/onc mentioned too much calcium can be a problem to blood vessels I think she said, appreciate your response 
    Just another thing, I read people saying they take Tumeric, thoughts on this, Thankyou