Home Now what? The highs and lows of survivorship

What did you do to mark the end of active treatment?

MicheleRMicheleR South AustraliaMember Posts: 201
So im kindof limping over the end of active treatment.

There has been no fanfare, no celebrations and no bells. 

I finished chemo late. Id been looking forward to finishing before new years and then chemo got delayed buggering up my plans for a great new years eve celebration.

Then i looked forward to my birthday which was nearly 2 weeks out from radiotherapy. I did not feel like celebrating due to the ouch factor on sunday. 

Now what? 
How did you celebrate? Did you feel like celebrating? What happens after the  celebrating?  
Tagged:

Comments

• LocksleyLocksley Macedon Ranges, VictoriaMember Posts: 403
    Hi Michelle I wanted to celebrate after chemo but I didn't have the strength then a week later when the port came out I had blood clots and ended up in hospital.  I was determined to celebrate after radiation. We managed to go out for dinner as a family one day before we had another covid lockdown.   Definitely do something for you that makes you happy.
  • AbbydogAbbydog Adelaide, South AustraliaMember Posts: 233
    I didn't do anything special, in terms of celebrating. But we had a long weekend away to Mount Gambier with family.
    We left the day after I finished Radiotherapy. It was a nice change from all the appointments etc.
  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,387
    I took the staff a big bunch of flowers and a lot of chocolate! They had been terrific for so long. I sort of missed them but was really happy to be on the other side of treatment. 
  • MicheleRMicheleR South AustraliaMember Posts: 201
    Hi @arpie, i used to dabble. Just a quick thing.  Im going to do it again, painting, drawing etc. Ive already resumed crafts like crochet. My guitar is also in waiting. When i had kids i got too busy and kindof gave up. 

Im seeing my breast surgeon on April Fools Day. My friend said " you should say you want your other boob off then yell April Fools". God  id never tempt fate. 

Im going to do something just not sure what. Just so anticlimactic.

I agree with the chemo bell ringing not being ideal. I met tonnes of lovely people who will never get off it - mainly bowel cancer - but you know they are thrilled for people who do get off chemo. Its hope you know. 

I did send chocolates to my surgeon after my mastectomu to say thanks to him and his staff. I still see the chemo nurses monthly for an injection. Im planningbon making some beanies and headwear to take for the hospital when im well enough to get some happening. 

Michele
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 4,580
    edited March 31
    Yep, Definitely not worth tempting fate there!   :#

Good on you @MicheleR .... it is SO important to do stuff that YOU want to do - not just what you HAVE to do!  

Definitely, get back into your art & music and craft (whack some pics up on our Craft Corner thread!!  I bet there are other crocheters there too as we have MANY knitters already!)  I lead the local ukulele group - so if you ever wanted to muck around with other people, playing & singing - join a Uke Group! If you get a Baritone Uke, they use the same chord shapes & names as Guitar (but you play only the 4 highest strings instead of the 6.) I love it.  We had our first 'live session' back at a Nursing home yesterday & it gave ALL of us a lift - the residents AND us!!

When hubby finished his chemo, he gave them a lovely drawing that he had done of a young lad playing a cello - Pointillism - all dots!!

take care xx
  • JennyD78JennyD78 NewcastleMember Posts: 66
    I lucked out and managed to line up a week in one of the Otis Foundation's properties in Bendigo so that was my main celebration.  The private clinic I did radiotherapy through have a tree mural which you can put your fingerprint on which was a nice way to put a full stop on it.
  • LocksleyLocksley Macedon Ranges, VictoriaMember Posts: 403
    I also gave staff chocolates as a Thankyou for looking after me.  
    Pretty sure I left some Easter Eggs with the Nurses .... cos my treatment finished literally, today, 3 years ago!!
  • FLCloverFLClover Sydney Member Posts: 842
    I didn’t do chemo, but I had radiation. My birthday was a week before it finished, so I got them a chocolate marble cake. They loved it, and I got known as the girl who brought her own birthday cake (I explained where I’m from this is normal). A week later, when I finished, I got them more chocolates and a card. And I had my picture taken on the bed with the silly snorkel and nose peg. I took them and the shield home as souvenirs. I had my picture taken with my onco too cos she was so lovely. And that was that. It did feel a bit empty afterwards, and also somewhat emotional. So I took myself and my partner for dinner, and bought myself a present for everything I’d endured til then. It’s a strange feeling. 

Your not wanting to tempt God comment was funny 😂😂. Last year, I thought about messaging a couple friends post surgery and telling them, then thought they’d just think it was a joke 🤷🏼‍♀️
    OMG ... I WISH I’d asked them for a pic of me ‘up up in the air’ as mine was done ‘face down’ (and I am NOT well endowed in that particular Area, so it really surprised me!) 

A couple of times, they almost had to restrain me, as I tried to ‘get off’ whilst still in the air ...

• NewBoobsPLSNewBoobsPLS Panania, NSWMember Posts: 75
    @Julez1958 that sounds so lovely and yes regenerating.
    Celebrating the wins for me is important. My sister and mum organised a fancy girls dinner the night of my last injection. They surprised me. All the wonderful women in my life.
    Round Two my girl friends organised a night out to watch Magic Mike 😜 then my bestie treated me to my own hotel room in Sydney CBD.
    Finally after Easter hubby and I are going on a weekend away. Lets see if the new girls can add some spice back to the bedroom. During treatment I was super turned off knowing i was cytotoxic. Fingers crossed.