Covid vaccine

Options
Joinmelb
Joinmelb Member Posts: 38
edited February 2021 in General discussion
Hi all! 
just wondering if anyone has had discussion with their treatment team yet about covid vaccines? 
I vaguely remember an article somewhere ages ago (can’t remember where though) about the fact cancer patients on certain drugs may not be able to have it.
I’ve got metastatic BC and am on kisqali and AIs in case that made a difference. I’m only relatively young (42) but severe asthmatic so Covid would not be ideal for me! Not that it’s ideal for anyone!!! Cheers! 
Tagged:

Comments

• Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    Options
    Hi @Joinmelb I had wondered the same thing and thought I heard something about cancer patients but can’t remember what it was. Best wishes
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    While vaccines involving a live element are often contraindicated while having chemo, because your immune system is weakened, an exception is often made for ‘flu vaccines. Any other underlying condition could hVe an impact. As always, check with your GP or oncologist. While I am still on hormonal therapy, I am many years post chemo - I’ve had several flu shots, meningitis and shingles shots, all with no side effects at all. Each time, nurses have run through a checklist but your own doctor will know best. The more of us who can be vaccinated against this miserable virus, the better! 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I asked my Oncologist a week ago, was it a good idea for me to have the COVID vaccine.
    He recommended it for me. I am one year post diagnosis. Mx, Chemo, Radiotherapy completed.
    Now on Letrazole for next 5-10 years.
    Advice could be different for different stages of treatment.
    Each of us should probably ask our Oncologist for this advice.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi all ..Recently read some posts on the US breastcancer.org site
    Discussion was that patients who had previously had reactions to some chemo treatments were at risk of anaphlaxis reactions to some covid vaccines ..so very important that oncologist is consulted
    All the best
    Bright in hope