Favourite books for escape from reality - POST YOURS!

Anj_j2020
Anj_j2020 Member Posts: 22
During this journey I've been big into escaping into fictional worlds. I read myself to sleep (paper books), read while on my exercise machine (ebooks) and listen to narrated works while doing housework, cooking (Audible, etc.). Often I'll have three or four different books on the go at the same time, depending on what I'm doing.

Here are my current favouites for escapism:
'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon (eight huge books, with a ninth on its way);
'All Souls Trilogy' by Deborah Harkness
'A Song of Ice and Fire' series by George R.R Martin
The Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Series by Louise Penny

Lighter reads when I can't concentrate well (brain fog):
The 'Hamish Macbeth' series by M C Beaton (short and with a few chuckles);
The 'Agatha Raisin' series also by M C Beaton
The 'All Creatures Great and Small' series by James Herriot

Great Australian escapism:
The 'Strange Worlds' series by Brenda Cheers (four books with a satisfying conclusion).

Post your recommendations! :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Ecup2020
    Ecup2020 Member Posts: 15
    I read “The pilgrim” while in hospital - it was very “ page turning”!
  • Anj_j2020
    @Ecup2020 Would that be 'I am Pilgrim' by Terry Hayes?
  • Ecup2020
    Ecup2020 Member Posts: 15
    Yes sorry I got the title wrong in my haste.
  • Anj_j2020
    @Ecup2020 Yes, great book, a real page-turner! :)
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    I love 'A Fig at my Gate' by Kate Grenville - its about a woman musing on her garden and lots of other things. My sister recommended it for her book club and it was not well received, maybe because its not a novel.
  • Anj_j2020
    @Beryl C. That looks very interesting! :)

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I was given “ The Tolstoy Estate” by Steven Conte. It’s a 2020 Australian publication and I had trouble putting it down. It’s a little like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which I loved.

”The Rosie Effect” series of books by Graeme Simsion is a delightful light read.

I also re read the Gerard Durrell series about living on Corfu before ww2 starting with “ My family and other animals”.

• Anj_j2020
    @Romla Ooh, 'The Tolstoy Estate' looks wonderful! Even better, it's available as an ebook through my library so I've borrowed it already.
    I'm also a huge fan of Gerard Durrell. Their life on Corfu seemed idyllic, although I think his mother might have been a bit stressed by money worries and her childrens' antics.
    And Graeme Simsion certainly captures the socially awkward personality well. I enjoyed his books.
    Thanks for sharing. :):smile:

• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    More chic lit but if i want any easy read i like the janet evanovich or sue gradton novels which are light bounty hunting/detective tales. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @Anj_j2020 The Tolstoy Estate is about the invasion of Russia by Germany in WW2 and is told from a bloke’s ( a frontline surgeon)point of view. It is a powerful and compelling story interwoven with a love story. I have never read anything like this before. I just added this as it is not a light read .Hope you enjoy it! I too am a fan of ebooks.
  • Anj_j2020
    @Romla ebooks are so convenient and easy to come by. I still like a 'real' book at bedtime, though, just to 'unplug'. :)

• Anj_j2020
    @MicheleR Yes, two good writers for escapism!