Lindsay Norris' Letter to Patients - "Sorry, I didn't get it"

Options

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yep. No-one gets any of it until they do their particular version of the whole shitfight.
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Thank you @Brenda5 for sharing that. I don’t think I truly understood what cancer patients have to go through until I had my own diagnoses.  
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    It would be nice to go back to that innocence of not knowing! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Yep - even those looking after us 'don't get it', til 'they get it'!

Thanks for putting it up  xx
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Thanks @Brenda5.
    It seems to me that those with stages 1 to 3 breast cancer do not get what it is like to have stage 4 breast cancer.
    Sure, it is easy to criticize when someone speaks about their treatment and side effects. Maybe, it isn't  helpful, but it is my experience.
    When I had AC chemo. the available anti-nausea medication did not work like that used now. Spewing my guts up was my experience.
    Do you know what it is like to have had 37 lots of I.V. chemo.? I  do.
    Not everyone has the opportunity to use cold cap so they don't lose their hair. I have never had this opportunity. I don't think my hair will ever grow back.
    Not everyone has access to breast care nurses. 
    Just because someone you know has had chemo. does not mean that you will know exactly what it is like. You can empathise as much as you want but you still have no idea.
    I have had 11 types of anti-cancer medication. None of them has worked for any length of time. That is what happens with stage 4 cancer.
    Do you get what it is like to have stage 4 cancer?

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    @Patty J my dad had stage 4 and the chemo was very harsh on him. Eventually the doctors abandoned it as the side effects were not compatible with quality of life which is of most importance if there is no gain from treatment.
    Dad recovered somewhat from the chemo and he looked much better and got on with things he liked to do in a limited capacity. He got into fancy cooking and gardening in pots and bought all those expensive type ingredients and stock that he wouldn't normally buy. Even though he couldn't go fishing he bought rods and rigged them up to fish but hung them as decorations with his hanging plants. It was like a treat for him and also worked as a bit of a tonic for his soul.
    Radiation treatments helped with chronic pain for a while so painkillers were needed less.
    Eventually the cancer took over and he died 5 months ago with us, not in a hospital.
    All of us on this earth will die one day but dad at least got to have quality time with us and we all rallied to say goodbye. Loved ones taken suddenly don't get that luxury.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    That gremlin &nbsp - ggrrrrrrrrrr!
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    Options
    I just want to say that I do care, even if I don't really get it. Best wishes to all.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I am not out there doing what I love to do, as I live now on a very low income and unable to fully engage in the work force, and am too young to receive an aged pension.  Sometimes a cancer diagnosis just happens at the most inconvenient time in our life, although I accept it, I do live a very different life now, just struggling to keep a roof over my head. 

Some with Stage 4 have to keep going whether they like it or not, and some cannot afford to stop and smell the roses, and I find that particularly sad when I hear those stories.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that @Keeping_positive1- I hope that you are able to find something fulfilling to do most days - be it a walk, catching up with friends, checking out the free magazines & books at the library - or even volunteering. 

My Stage 4 uke friends & I entertain the elderly in aged care facilities about 6 times a month (many of whom have dementia) and we find this very therapeutic.  Volunteering doesn't cost anything, but gives bucket loads of goodwill and pleasure to those who aren't able to get out.  Very much a win/win situation where they feel good & we feel good.

Are you able to approach your bank re reducing your payments, or access your super if you are not able to yet?