Ovaries removed

Options
Tmm19_
Tmm19_ Member Posts: 4
edited February 2020 in General discussion
I was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer in June 2019. ER+
I’ve finished chemo, had surgery & about to start rads next week & then have to take tamoxifen after I’ve finished rads. 
I’ve read on forums that some ladies also have their ovaries removed if they have ER+ breast cancer. 
Is this because they have the BRCA gene? 
My surgeon has not mentioned anything to me about having my ovaries removed & I’m wondering if I should. 

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I think it is an option but it may be something you have to bring up yourself to the surgeon. I have never been asked about it. I figure mine are pretty shriveled up after menopause anyway lol.
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    Options
    @Tmm19_
    Have you had been through menopause yet?  If yes - then you won’t need your ovaries removed.  Estrogen can be made via other ways in your body which is why some women after menopause can still have estrogen floating around in their bodies.  I’m premenopausal and am currently having Zoladex monthly to put my ovaries to ‘sleep’. But because I will be required to have this injection every month for at least another 4+ years, I have elected to have my ovaries removed this coming Monday.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    It all depends. If you wish after a couple of years on tamoxifen you can stop to conceive and go back on after the baby is born.
    Tamoxifen has less issues than aramatose inhibitor so if young is preferable to be on tamoxifen and change over later to an aramatose inhibitor.
    Women who carry braca1 and 2 genes also have higher risks of ovarian  cancer  and therefore that's why they are often removed.