Travel Insurance

Options
Tuppence
Tuppence Member Posts: 15
edited February 2020 in General discussion
Hi All,

I am clear of symptoms now and about to do a bit of travel and am looking for insurance. I'm worried about the pre-existing conditions clauses ... because I've always got tests to do and am worried in case I insure and then get tests that show my cancer has returned. Does anyone have experience with travel insurance companies that are OK on this sort of situation?

Comments

• Tuppence
    Options
    Just to be clear, I don't want travel insurance for actual cancer treatment, only in case I have to cancel the holiday in the case of a recurrence and the need for treatment etc.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Tuppence

This is a problem I have also encountered and it does not seem to matter which company. 

I can get travel insurance for lost luggage or theft but not in the event of cancelling because of a cancer recurrence. It may relate to the fact that I had to cancel a holiday trip due to my diagnosis just 8 weeks before travel.

I now think that I will "wing it". If I lost my luggage, I would go out and buy more, same for clothes. Airfares I would claim off my credit card insurance.

Insurance companies appear willing to insure for medical and medical evacuations as long as it is not cancer related. Funny thing is that they are happy to cover my asthma and that is likely to have me end up in hospital.

I now, would probably just tell the medicos that it would all have to wait until after the holiday. It was just my misfortune that my mammogram was in the June and we were going on holiday in the September.  If the mammogram was in the October the cancer would have still been there - only I would not have known.

But now, I cannot bring myself to plan anything - just in case.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Covermore has always covered my overseas insurance as long as I am at least 6 months past any hospital visit. If tests are hospital related that may be a problem but still worth trying. 
  • Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    Options
    I just went with CoverMore, it cost me an extra $117 for an 18 day trip to NZ totalling $268.
    I had to disclose it. My last hospital admittance was February 19
    EMC = Existing Medical Conditions.
    I got charged more but don’t quite understand if that means I’m covered.
    i was only concerned about the cost of my airfare incase this Virus problem means a cancellation of my flight on the part of the airlines. I don’t fly till late March this year.
  • Tuppence
    Options
    Thanks everyone, helpful replies. Sorry to hear of your difficulties Annie C ... and I hope I don't have to pay too much extra insurance!