Anxious

Options
Maria L
Maria L Member Posts: 7
edited November 2011 in General discussion

Just had my first dose of Dexamethasone as I am starting chemo tomorrow.

What should I expect to be feeling after taking this medication, how helpful have others found it to be with their chemo.

Any suggestions for tomorrow and beyond..

Thanks

Maria L

Comments

• lutte
    lutte Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

It's normal to feel anxious before chemo-which chemo are you having. I had AC and was given dexamethasone plus other anti nausea drugs just before being hooked up to the chemo rather than the day before. Also was sent home with dexamethasone plus same anti nausea drugs to take for two days after chemo. I found these worked like a dream as far as preventing any nausea, I also think the dex gave me more energy for those couple of days because I usually got pretty tired on day 3 and 4 after I stopped taking them.

Good Luck

Janice

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I can understand how anxious you must be feeling.There is probably no trick for avoiding these feelings until you've actually had your first chemo.The Dexamethasone helps with fluid retention and appetite.Just take what you've been ordered to take.It can be quite scary when you arrive at the chemo unit. I just took one look at everyone with their beanies on,sitting in their chairs so docile with their arm stretched out and I was ready to do a runner.I was so anxious that the nurse gave me an anti anxiety pill - that really helped but I had been given it too late.If you need it then ask for it well before they start prodding you with an iv cannula.You might not feel too bad for the first few days after but then you'll notice you've lost your taste buds and your mouth feels like it's lined with fur.I could only eat lemonade iceblocks,lemon cordial,vegie soup and dry crackers.Day 3-5 might be your worst days-head aches,nausea,fatigue,aches and pains.Just do what works for you -I just stayed in bed under the doona but I was abit of a sook.Take your temp each day cos if it goes up to 38 you have to go to hospital.I hope all goes well for you tomorrow-speak up if you are anxious cos they don't hand out medals for bravery in that place!

Tonya xx

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with the other ladies. I overcame my initial apprehension by asking questions eg. Why do you sometimes put on white gloves and sometimes the purple ones? Certainly takes your mind off what is happening when they are finding a vein. The nurses are very helpful and my breastcare nurses were an absolute font of knowledge. Don't know where you are being treated but at my day treatment centre we are a very social bunch with many patients (after they have been hooked up to chemo) taking off around the unit to visit others. Just talking to others can help you on your treatment journey. I was lucky to find women on the same chemo as me who were a cycle ahead of me, so I knew exactly when the side effects would hit! Some did, some didn't, chemo affects us all in different ways. I gave myself permission to not get dressed on one day of each cycle and just looked after myself. I think it was the dex. that caused my sleep patterns to change completely but this wears off.

Depending on what chemo you are on the side effects will change. I craved sweet things with some, others I craved salty things. I actually drove to an all night convenience store at 3am to get a packet of salt and vinegar chips. I ate them before I reached home, mouth burning from the vinegar, but couldn't taste anything!

Good luck with your first treatment, it does get easier.

With love

Joy K

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    Options

I agree with the other ladies. I overcame my initial apprehension by asking questions eg. Why do you sometimes put on white gloves and sometimes the purple ones? Certainly takes your mind off what is happening when they are finding a vein. The nurses are very helpful and my breastcare nurses were an absolute font of knowledge. Don't know where you are being treated but at my day treatment centre we are a very social bunch with many patients (after they have been hooked up to chemo) taking off around the unit to visit others. Just talking to others can help you on your treatment journey. I was lucky to find women on the same chemo as me who were a cycle ahead of me, so I knew exactly when the side effects would hit! Some did, some didn't, chemo affects us all in different ways. I gave myself permission to not get dressed on one day of each cycle and just looked after myself. I think it was the dex. that caused my sleep patterns to change completely but this wears off.

Depending on what chemo you are on the side effects will change. I craved sweet things with some, others I craved salty things. I actually drove to an all night convenience store at 3am to get a packet of salt and vinegar chips. I ate them before I reached home, mouth burning from the vinegar, but couldn't taste anything!

Good luck with your first treatment, it does get easier.

With love

Joy K

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Maria

Good luck with your chemo. I found the dexamethasone made me very active and was up having to eat in the early hours as it made me ravenous. It did help with nausea as did all the pills they gave me. I didn't have any nausea the whole way through, just a horrible mouth for a few days and my bowels were a bit churned up constipation the first cycle then the exact opposite for the next 5 cycles but only for about 24 hours post -chemo. I made myself go out and walk the dog every day even when I thought I couldn't. I ate what I wanted and had strange urges like Joy did potato chips was one of them ! Just be kind to yourself and have a nanna nap in the afternoon!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you go?

Love Sarah x