Tamoxifen & Thyroxine

Options
Life
Life Member Posts: 14
I’ve been on Thyroxine meds (under active thyroid) for years without issues, but now with taking Tamoxifen, it seems things are not the same. Doc wants to monitor me for a couple more months before she changes things. 
My questions are , anyone out there taking them together? Or should I separate them ? 
And if separated which should I take in the morning & which in the evening? Doc was not helpful at all. 
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Interesting @Life. I've been taking thyroxine for 16 years (100mcg nightly). I'm on Letrozole (which I take in the morning) and there's been no issue at all. My TSH levels are holding steady. Would a switch to an AI be possible? K xox
  • Life
    Options
    I’ve been taking them together in the morning, as pharmacist said it’s ok. But this week after doc appointment, have tried to split them with Tamoxifen in the morning & Thyroxine in the night , but have found I’m heading to bed & then I remember I’ve forgotten to take it. Easier for me to remember in the morning. Don’t know if I should keep trying to keep them separate or just take them in the morning together. Was wondering if anyone else does ? 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Mine are morning as it is easier to remember.  Thyroxine at least half hour before breakfast. AI after breakfast so they are about an hour apart.

When I was on tamoxifen I used to take it after my lunch mainly to manage side effects.

Take care 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I also take both in the morning. The thyroxine with my first cup of tea in the morning...as I open the fridge for the milk, I see the box. Then about an hour later, the rest of my morning meds, including the letrozole, straight after breakfast. I found when I took the thyroxine in the evening, with my night meds, I felt more jittery and experienced restless legs syndrome.
  • Life
    Options
    thank you , I’ll try doing that. As night does not work for me , I keep forgetting. But the morning I have the time to take one as soon as I’m in the kitchen & then just before we head for the school run. 
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I am taking thyroxine & T3 and tamoxifen.  I have the thyroid meds in my bathroom and take as soon as I get up then take my tamoxifen about hour or so later after breakfast and my levels have been very steady now for the last 12 months
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Are you taking any herbal things like tumeric also? This blocks thyroxine and should be taken at least 4 hours apart.
  • Life
    Options
    Nothing herbal, just multi vitamins but at lunchtime. 
    I’ve been trying to take the thyroid meds when I get to the kitchen, in the morning & tamoxifen an hour later , before I leave. Hopefully this will be enough . I’ll find out in 2 mths. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Thyroxine should be taken 30 - 60 mins before food.