needing to find a new oncologist

Options
Curious
Curious Member Posts: 2
edited August 2019 in General discussion
Hello everyone,
I'm in South Western Sydney and wanting to get a second opinion regarding my treatment plan. I'm Her2+ and my oncologist has been good, however, I really am not sure of the longer-term plan.  Im twelve months down the track and had surgery, chemo, and immunotherapy. Still undergoing treatment. Can anyone recommend a good oncologist? I'm currently in the public system but happy to also explore private. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Hi @Curious Welcome to the forum - sorry to see you here, but you are in the right spot for guidance & advice, by those who've been there, done that!

Are you able to name the hospital/suburb you have attended - some of our members may have a specific oncologist they could guide you towards if they are familiar with the area ...... a few of us have swapped Oncs 'mid stream' - I did and much happier with my current one.

take care  

• Mahaica
    Mahaica Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I live on North side of Sydney and my oncologist is very good. Too far for you to travel.
  • Belgrave14
    Belgrave14 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I’ve had all my treatment at Macquarie University Hospital (private), just started radiotherapy after Chemo and surgery, and I have been very impressed with all of my treatment team.  I find him very happy to explain things and generally good to deal with. The hospital is just beside one of the M2 exits so it may not be too inconvenient? I have Inflammatory BC which is rare and aggressive; it might be silly but I like having my treatment somewhere very research focused. 
  • Curious
    Curious Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello everyone,thank you so much for your responses. I m south side and been with St George Hospital public so far. I agree research focus is definitely a good component. Generally not too bad but have felt over time my oncology team have less and less time for me and seem a little irritated when I ask questions. Which I do as much as I can. There have been some discrepancies with my staging etc hence wanting a second opinion as this has directly impacted my treatment plan.
    I will look into the suggestions so far. Thank you again.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    Funnny that @Curious - I had the same feeling with my original Onc!  I Swapped to a lady and she is great, but she is currently on maternity leave just now - and a rumour is going around that she won’t be back!  :( 

All the best, I hope you find a new Onc that you are comfy with
  • NewBoobsPLS
    NewBoobsPLS Member Posts: 87
    Options
    @curious how did you go finding a new onc. I need to find one to start chemo. I live in south west so Liverpool and stgeorge are the closest public. I work right next to macquarie though.
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi all 
    you should not be be naming specific Medical personell in open forum

Moderator needs to assist as to  correct contact method
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi all please use private messaging rather than post details of practitioners on the main forum. Many thanks
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Yes, we don't want the highly recommended oncologists being inundated with phone calls... so funny. :D