I'm a workaholic - if I don't, who will?

Kezz
Kezz Member Posts: 3
Oft described as a workaholic, it is both a blessing and a curse to have an excellent work ethic. I have a pretty big job because of it and I manage to finance our lives because as a solo parent I have to. A big job means people rely on me to be effective.

Diagnosed just yesterday, all the scary stuff ahead, and out pops from my mouth... what about my work?

Give it some context... I am a solo parent with 2 boys age 12 and 15.  I have a partner in life for the last 3 years, who lives 2.5 hours away so our time together is weekends as we concentrate on our own children. (He is amazing btw).  

Their dad (my ex) continues his struggle with alcoholism, depression and living in another state on welfare so he's no help and hasn't been for a very long time.  It is not that I am in love with working so much, it is that by working hard I can support my children and give them a reasonably normal life.

I have been responsible for the raising of my children financially and emotionally (the ride hasn't been that great) for quite a while now and I have an overwhelming sense of responsibility.  I've read and will re-read the information on working, however I can't seem to get out of my brain chatter... If I can't work to support them, who will?

Am I truly gone mad?

It's only day one I know... thanks for listening :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Hello @Kezz welcome to our online community. 
    I have posted your question in our main discussion forum so more of our community members will see your post and be able to respond as our work and breast cancer group has been a bit quiet of late.  You are most likely aware of our work and breast cancer information on our website which you will find helpful https://www.bcna.org.au/work-and-breast-cancer/
    All the best,
    regards Giovanna
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi there.
    Many people do manage to work during treatment. I wasn't one.
    I took long service leave and sick leave and was able to draw on my trauma component of my life insurance which paid out my mortgage and just enabled me to focus on recovery and treatment. Chick out your cover and LSL and explore options in case you are not well enough. 

I was able to cook most days...much simpler meals.
    You could pre plan days you might not feel up to it.
    Ideas like light and easy meal plans can solve issues for many (or similar ideas)
  • Kezz
    Kezz Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for taking time to respond. I guess it will all unfold in due course 
  • Pink43
    Pink43 Member Posts: 6
    Hi Kezz . Just joined this group . I knew it’s more than a year after your post . I do  Hope you are much better sorted with the work balance and the bc treatment. I totally understand your concerns as I used to work - worked from home doing everything between bookkeeping, house work, washing, cooking and driving kids around every day, may be 16 hours a day in total almost ( I have a disable adult son still living with us plus one boy just done his HSC last year...) .  Now post surgery week 6 , have not done much as I have been so tired and could not even open my eyes in the first 4 weeks after surgery. I do have the same issues as you if I don’t do it Who will as I am a self employed ... job needed done .. husband could only do so much.. plus he is working long hours too .. 

I kept saying to my self the lifestyle causing my cancer .. after the diagnosis.... 
    ( my elderly parents were so sad after heard the bad news then even asked me moving back to them so they can look after me .. 🥲)

Trying to take one step at a time and take a break between activities... 

Hope all is good now . 

Take care 😃