air travel

Options
karenwilliamsonify
karenwilliamsonify Member Posts: 1
edited October 2010 in General discussion

I was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma for my lefty RIP, in 2006. (all clear) so to celebrate my surviving my 5 year journey I am travelling overseas to visit family in several countries.   I am in the air for a total of 68 hours & want some advice from members on excercises I can do on the plane, airports, trains etc to help prevent Lymphoedema & Thrombosis I have searched thru back issues of The Beacon & looked on the BCNA website but can't find anything specific to us gals - are there any cutsey you tube clips with all the info we all need

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just re read your post and wanted to say a big

Whoo hoo for the 5 years. What a great way to celebrate!!

Tanya
  • Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi
    The jury is out on many things but, as Tanya said keep well hydrated. If you have had an axillary clearence it is a bit different from a sentinel node biopsy.... As with DVTs and travel it is important to exercise. Lots of deep breathing, shoulder shrugs, muscle relaxation and contraction arm and fist for upper limbs. Ankle rotation flexion & extension and walking for legs. Have you seen a lymphoedema therapist at all? Maybe see one who can check you and see if there is any sign of lymphoedema. If there is- I too would wear a compression garment but if not then no one really knows. Some say do some say dont. Not a lot of evidence based research... You can check www.nlpr.asn.au for your nearest therapist and visit http://lymphology.asn.au/new/index.php for info Good Luck and have an awesome time Jo