Radiation and possible side effects

CassW88CassW88 Member Posts: 4
I have had breast conserving surgery and am due to start chemo early May. I have met with the radiation dude and he was talking about possible side effects of radiation and that there is a chance that in 10-30 years I could develop a secondary cancer from the radiation treatment. He said that it isn't normally an issue when diagnosed in your 50s+ but being diagnosed when your 30 there is a higher chance that it could come back as a carcinoma. He said that an option could be to have a mastectomy which would then mean I dont need to have radiation.

My question is, has anyone else experience this news also? If so what did you do, continue with the treatment plan or go the mastectomy? 
I was thinking of continuing with the treatment plan, but then there are the factors of it being my left breast, then the radiation near the heart.

Comments

• Giovanna_BCNAGiovanna_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 1,143
    Hello @CassW88
    Thanks for your post, great question. 
    I have tagged a few members to see if they are able to respond @jane84, @InkPetal ; Ladies would you know of anyone who may be able to assist CassW88?
    CassW88 you can also post your question in the main discussion forum to see if others have been in a similar situation.  Also, dont hesitate to call the BCNA helpline on 1800 500 258 if you would like to speak with a cancer nurse for information and or support.  Kind regards