Hello Everyone

Lisa M.
Lisa M. Member Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in General discussion

Hello,

I've just joined - in fact it's the first online network i've ever taken part in, so i'm a bit unsure if I'm doing things right.

Anyway, I had breast cancer 3 years ago and had surgery, chemo, radiotheraphy and continued on with hormone therapy but this year a CT scan (after months of back problems) showed my cancer had returned in the bones. I had radiotherapy to get rid of the tumour that caused my fracture.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that I have advanced cancer - particularly the fact that I have no idea when the cancer will cause more problems or pain or how long I've got left to live. But i look forward to being part of this group.

Lisa

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Welcome to the site.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago.  I had surgery, radiation and started on Tamoxifen.  Last December I was again diagnosed with "secondary" bc in a lymph node.  Since then I have had more surgery, radiation and chemo and now on Arimidex.  I am such a different person - in body - now and I hate it.  So many aches and pains and it is costing us a small fortune to try and find anwers.  I am still trying to get my head around a second diagnosis as well.  At first I was good but with all the pain it has "done my head in" of late.  Sorry I am all doom and gloom as I am usually really positive and have lots to offer - I'm sure that old body is still in there somewhere and I will get some good life back again soon!!!!  You will meet some lovely ladies on this site and they will offer enormous support to you.  XLeonie

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015

Also welcome to the site. Perhaps you could read some of the archived posts both in Secondary Breast Cancer and those in Early breast cancer for upliftment. I find this a very positive and supportive site..

I was diagnosed with BC and ABC on the same day in October 2010 so I have not had it return, it had already spread before I knew I had BC!

I've been told to consider it a chronic disease that will always need treatment and thinking this way has helped me. Mets in the bones can be controlled by specific drugs (Zometa, Bondronat and Xgeva) and the pain can be relieved by radiation to painful areas.

I now tell people that I'm living with cancer that can't be cured, but it can be managed and controlled for years and decades. There are women on the American Cancer Discussion Boards in Advanced Breast Cancer who first posted in the early/mid 1990's and they are still posting.

My body will never be the same either, but I say thank you every day for having this chronic disease rather than others such as congestive cardiac disease etc. as we have so many more options for treatment.

My motto is "accept the diagnosis but not the prognosis!"

Welcome once again,

With love,

Joy K

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015

Hi Lisa

Welcome to our group - I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with ABC.  Aren't some of these medical terms the pits?  My oncologist talks about Breast cancer that has spread beyond the breast - sounds much nicer to me.

It's a real bummer but there is so much hope now that we can be treated with the consideration that this is a chronic illness.  The uncertainty is difficult.  For me - my story is on my blog - feel free to read it - I try to just focus on each day.  It has taken me a few months to get to that point.  I try to live in the moment - I have a large focus on my wellness and family.  I eat a diet that I feel will help me deal with this disease, I take the medicines that I feel will help, I meditate, I love myself and my family, I believe in my ability to be well, I keep informed, I try to support others and accept all the love and support that others have to offer. 

As Joy said - there are women who have been living with this disease for a long time and have a wonderful quality of life.  

I look forward to sharing with you.

Amanda x

• Lisa M.
    edited March 2015

Oh, I am overwhelmed with your thoughtful replies.

You sound like a great bunch of girls. It was interesting to read about the different journeys you have all been on and thank you all so much for reassuring me about the fact that ABC is now considered a chronic disease and that there are so many ways to treat it.

Leonie - you sound like you are going through a hard time - I hope you get through it and have an easier time!

Joy K - what a wonderful outlook you have. I will look at archived posts.

I am actually on Bondronat at the moment and am waiting to take part in a clinical trial.

amanda - thank you for details of what you do - it is informative and inspiring

Amy - wow - what an enormous thing it must have been for you and Joy to find out you had ABC before you even new you had cancer in the first place! but waht a marvellous attitude you have.

I am doing counselling too and find it invaluable.My counsellor is even going to try hypnosis.

I went to Brecan in the Queen Vic centre in Melbourne yesterday for a chat and they were wonderful - and I got some info to read. does everyone know about it? And do you all know about Otis Retreats?

Anyway look forward to reading more posts.

Lisa

• Amy
    Amy Member Posts: 233
    edited March 2015

Hi Joy

I didn't know about the vitamin D levels.  Will have a look into that!

The lectures sound excellent.  Unfortunately, I live in ACT so no good for me :(

Cheers

Amy

• Lisa M.
    edited March 2015

Thanks Joy,

Yes I have signed up for the ABC sheet and i went to a few things run by them when i was first diagnosed. I can't make next Thursday either but I hope to meet you there at a future event.

thanks for the mention of vitamin D - i didn't know that either.

Love Lisa

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

I would also recommend the Think Pink Living Centre in Melbourne (on StKilda Rd) http://www.thinkpink.org.au/living-centre they have some great programs too & are absolutely fantastic! 

• Lisa M.
    edited March 2015

Thank you Merylee,

I didn't know about that

Lisa X