Calcium supplements or not?

Doin'it
Doin'it Member Posts: 377
edited December 2018 in General discussion
My Onc told me to start taking Calcium/vitamin d supplements when I began  Letrozole 5 1/2 weeks ago,  but having read recently the issues of heart disease caused by added calcium, I don’t think I want to. What’s everyone’s opinion please 
Tagged:

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    My thoughts are that any supplements are only beneficial if you are deficient in those vitamins or minerals. You can have your levels checked to give you an idea. I have been on Letrozole for just over 3 years. I had my Vit D level checked a few times and it has been fine.

As for calcium, the new recommendations are that it is far better to get your calcium through a balanced diet (because of the issue with supplements and heart issues). I see a dietician as part of my monitoring of bone density. She has helped to guide me to ensure my calcium intake through food is enough for me. As I understand it there is more to bone health then just Vit D and calcium. Magnesium and Vit K are also important for example. Weight bearing and impact exercise is also very important.

I am more comfortable with the idea of eating well to ensure adequate levels and getting a little sunshine each day for my Vit D. But some people need supplements if they have issues such as dairy intolerance etc or their lifestyle limits their ability to get enough Vit D.

I hope this helps you work out what might be the right thing for you. I hope that the Letrozole goes ok for you. Take care. xxx
  • Doin'it
    Thanks @Deanne. My thoughts exactly & I eat a really healthy diet. Love the outdoors. I’m having a bone density scan in January & my blood tests always came back fine. Had better get back into more serious weight bearing exercise when I finish radiation in 3 more treatments. Yay!!
    So far I’m going well on the Letrozole. Hope it stays that way! I coped really well going through menopause 10 years ago, so hopefully that’s a sign I’ll keep going well. How have you been coping over 3 years? xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited December 2018
    Sounds like you know what works best for you @Doodoo . It can be hard to feel confident about all sorts of things to do with your health after bc! But it’s good to feel supported in your choices. Lots of support on here.

Glad you are finding Letrozole ok so far. I had some aches and pains for a while but they settled with time. I have had trouble with low bone density but have found weightlifting and a good diet are controlling that. Any issues I have had, I seem to have found a way to improve them. I was on Tamoxifen for two years before Letrozole (no significant side effects on Tamoxifen), so all up have just passed 5 years of hormone therapy. I would say my quality of life is pretty good and so far the hormone therapy seems to be keeping me cancer free so that is really good!  :)
  • Doin'it
    It sure is really good. Well done you xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    From my understanding it's the calcium tablets that have a bit of a rethink. I was alarmingly low in Vitamin D when I first checked (blood tests fine,no other deficiencies), and many Australian women are - it may not only be your diet (I thought mine was pretty healthy), it may be partly to do with less time in the sun. All sorts of benefits re skins, skin cancer etc, but human beings were designed for sunlight and too little has a negative effect too. I burn easily and stay covered, so that's part of the problem. I have however shrunk my calcium tablet intake, as I think I get enough from low fat milk and yoghurt. As I am on femara and my bones are definitely showing the impact (but not osteoporotic yet) I am wary of not keeping my calcium levels sufficient for bone purposes, eating healthily is unlikely to fully offset the femara all by itself. Swings and roundabouts! 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Hi @Doodoo there was a really interesting program on SBS I think it was the other night re vitamins and suppliements by a scientist who has been studying it for years and along with other experts in their field.  The gist was that best to get everything through food and veg and there is a bigger danger now with some of the super strength supplements like vitamin C causing problems added to the fact most of us already get our daily dose just through food.  They also had a big question mark on antioxidants and the goodness of them.  The big surprise was about all the extracts out on the market now like green tea extract which has been proven to cause liver and kidney damage and there is currently no strict regulations or checks on these extracts being developed.  Their summing up was to get a blood test done to see if you are deficient in anything and only take what you need.   I am like you though Doodoo I am 6 weeks on femara now and I do wonder what to take. I am just taking probiotics and kefir milk which @kmakm suggested and is making a huge difference with my digestion and gut.( thanks Kate)    
  • Doin'it
    Thanks Ladies. Great info @Afraser & @kitkatb. So interesting re study on supplements. I’ve never been one for taking them & up til this @&$) BC, I’ve never taken medication. Oh yes I did take the *pill*! 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Ah the good old days when you never took any pills. Or went to the doctor. And only had one anyway. You knew your blood was red, bones were hard and not much else. I have relatively little ailing me but I still seem to have a consultation of medical consultants, a pill box and too many prescriptions!! 
  • Doin'it
    Yep, the good old days. 
    I’d prefer to go out to my vege garden & pick delicious fresh pesticide free veges than take pills for vitamins. That’s for sure
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I'm too stuffed to research tonight, but I think the issue with calcium supplements centres around the two different sorts of meds prescribed for hypertension. Gargh, my brain is porridge. It's worth checking if the problem is the mineral or an interaction with a commonly prescribed drug. I'll check.
  • Doin'it
    My brain is porridge too! Thanks 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    My oncologist told me that the cardiologists had become unhappy with calcium supplements, and that calcium is one of the most easily absorbed nutrients from food. Four serves a day are recommended for menopausal women.
  • Doin'it
    Interesting! Thanks @kmakm. Hope you’re having an amazing time in o/s xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I quite like dairy so I've given up on the calcium supplements and just making sure that I get too much of that until I see the onc at the end of January.  I'll see what he has to say about it.
  • Doin'it
    I love dairy 😊