Confused about Reconstruction options

Saoirse
Saoirse Member Posts: 12
edited December 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi

I was diagnosed yesterday with high grade DCI. Until I have surgery they won’t know if it’s invasive or not (think that’s the right terminology?). It’s currently 2cm big but again they don’t know the full extent til they get in there. I have a family history that makes me high risk. I am seeing a surgeon for a consult on Weds 12 Dec and I am planning to have a double mastectomy. The cancer is in my left breast and right is ok, but I am so over the yearly stress of mammograms and ultrasounds and always said that if this day ever came I wanted both of them off me. I never thought I’d be making that decision at 48, but here I am. I have been reading a lot about reconstruction surgery and the pros and cons. I think this is the way I would like to go, but am so confused about all the options. I don’t have big breasts and would be happy with the same or smaller even, just so long as there is something there I guess, but I have very little fat on me and the idea of taking a muscle from my back freaks me out. I love sport and the doctor said the flap option would weaken my back considerably. Has anyone experienced this? Is an implant a better option?

I would love to get onto the forum about reconstruction but when I signed up for it, the message doesn’t seem to go through. Is there another way to get on that forum?

I am sorry for the long post, I’m so overwhelmed at the moment. I honestly didn’t think my year could get any worse and then this happens, though reading some of the threads I can see I am not alone there. 

I honestly feel feel like I am outside my body looking at someone else right now. Strangest feeling. 

Thanks guys
:)

Comments

• Hi @Saoirse, you must have a million things going on in your mind right now. I’m sure someone will help you to sign up to the reconstruction group where you can have a closer look at options for reconstruction. You will have a better idea of what treatment, or options you have when they do more tests. Thinking of you. Remember to take a deep breath and know that you don’t have to make any huge decisions today. This is the most stressful time. Once you know more, it will be easier. I’ve been there as have many people on this site. Take care and remember you can call counsellors at BCNA or the Cancer Council or ask questions on here. I hope you have some support around you. x
  • Saoirse
    Saoirse Member Posts: 12
    Thanks so much @Rose18. It’s a whole new world to me. My mum died young (but a long time ago) and while I’ve always supported breast cancer events and Charities I’ve never wanted to know too much about the finer details cause it’s always scared the absolute cr@p out of me. And now here I am, forced into a crash course and trying to take it all in. I feel like I’ve struck gold with this forum though. I have a good support network, but have yet to tell my immediate family and very close friends who live on the other side of the world. This will break their hearts and I’m not sure I want to ruin their Xmas either. Might see what happens on Weds and take it from there. Everyone seems to say the same on here - one step at a time.....probably really good advice seeing as this journey could take me anywhere.....
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839

Hello @Saoirse

Welcome to our online network.  Below is the welcome and Information message that @SoldierCrab sends to new members.  I will send you an invitation to join the breast reconstruction group

Below are a couple of links to help you find your way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order the My Journey Online Tool if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a whirlwind when we first get a diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

How to post on the main forum – use this link to get to the main forum and begin a new post. https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/post/discussion

Navigating the online community formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other resources. 

https://myjourney.org.au/hp/step5

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from 9 am to 6 pm Monday to Thursday and 9 am to 5 pm on Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology.html

• BRFacilitator
    BRFacilitator Member Posts: 236
    Hi @Saoirse, I've just seen your post and have sent you an invitation to join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group. I'm not sure why you've had difficulty joining but perhaps @Giovanna_BCNA, you could keep an eye out for @Saoirse and make sure she gets through. Cheers, Jane 
  • @Saoirse a big hug for you - take care and remember there’s no wrong or right, you tell people at your own pace. You have options, your opinion matters and as a community we are here for you. x