Male Discrimination

Options
PeterB
PeterB Member Posts: 65
Male discrimination exists in the Breast Cancer World. A MBC survivor was diaganosed as Braca1. 50% chance to pass on thru his genes. This guy is a current BCNA supporter. His daughter was put on an urgent screening program due to dads genes. His son was not....is that not discrimination. 
BC takes out to many women each year. But it also takes out men too.
screening should be available to all. My wife gets reminder letters every two years, I’ve had BC and am not entitled to a free screening. I have to pay for a screening or go to a public hospital on a waiting list.
LETS PUSH TO GET THIS CHANGED.
PeterB
The Men’s Breast Cancer Forum

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    The narrative is women however it's clear no free screening for 5 years once diagnosed with Breast Cancer
    https://www.breastscreen.org.au/what-happens/should-i-be-screened/previous-cancer-diagnosis/
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Breast cancer is breast cancer - whether female or male - the available options should be for both sexes.

It cam be passed down on both sides, male & female ..... but more emphasis put on females with Braca1 & 2 gene   :(  
    https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20101024

All the best for your friend & his family - this needs to be highlighted!
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Perhaps this is something GPs could be discussing with the radiology department they currently use ?
    @PeterB, Does Medicare fund screening for me at all ?
    Is there some department we could all hassle re the issue ?
    If women can go to BreastScreen after the 5 years then surely men can go to their local radiologist ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 79
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PeterB
    Options
    Ladies ladies, thanks for your support. Currently Medicare covers diagnostic screening for both men and women. Men are not covered to go to BreastScreen for “ preventive” screening. Either we pay or go to the hospital and on a waiting list for the procedure.
    This need to be pushed by the pink charities and the Healrh Dept.
    There are not enough men out there with BC to get together and push the issue. Stats say 148 men this year will be diagnosed with BC. So in the future these men should have “preventive” screening available to them
    PeterB
    The Men’s Breast Cancer Forum
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    Options
    @PeterB I'm a great believer in direct political action. I suggest you directly approach state AND federal Health Ministers and your state and federal members. Document your argument. And maybe start a social media petition. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • PeterB
    Options
    Ladies, I have no literature about the subject. Just talking to guys and the ladies from Qld BreastScreen. The push for change need to come from the pink charities on our behalf. 
    Please go on our Facebook pages and see where we are going with the whole MBC thing.
    The Men’s Breast Cancer Forum.
    Its a big subject in the USA, but we don’t have the numbers out here to push it. Just trying to get men to put their hand up to say they’ve had BC is hard.
    PeterB
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • PeterB
    Options
    I’ve been doing this now for over a year. Trying to find and contact men with BC. We have made contact with 6 men within Australia. Trying to contact two new guys we have heard about. Most contacts come from women who have fathers, son, brothers nephews that have BC.
    The more contacts we can make the better. Contact can be made on Facebook, email mensbreastcancerforum@**** or mobile 
    PeterB
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Has his son applied for genetic screening?. Because of my familiar history and my Dad not being alive to test both my sister and brother were tested for the gene. All negative. Yes the son has a 50% chance of inheriting the faulty gene and should have appropriate genetic counseling and testing if he wishes. And then if positive an appropriate screening profram should be planned for him.