BCNA go in to bat for us getting subsidised or free MRIs ... Sunday Paper

Options
arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,584
Talk about sexism!!  Men get it cheap - but not women!   TOTALLY UNFAIR!

WELL DONE to BCNA for going in to bat on our behalf - especially women with dense breasts who may need the more expensive options to determine if they DO have BC, as mammograms often show nothing and Ultrasounds can be inconclusive.  When I had my biopsy - the guys doing the scan told the Dr doing the biopsy that it didn't look like cancer to him (and querying the need for a biopsy!)  Lucky for me - the Dr went ahead with the biopsy and it confirmed 2 tumours.  :( 

Fingers crossed that MRIs are made available as a diagnosis tool for men and women with BC in the near future.

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Again, it's just like how women's pain is trivialised and under-medicated compared with men's. It is outrageous. Sexist, bordering on mysoginistic.

Despite the fact that my mother had breast cancer at 51, my sister had it at 44 which eventually killed her at 47, and then my own diagnosis at 51, I wasn't eligble for a subsidised MRI. Which would have been 'handy' as my breast tissue was quite dense and had two lots of high grade DCIS that could not be seen by 2D & 3D mammograms or ultrasounds. My BC experience would have been so different, and so much easier if I'd been able to have an MRI.

This shit makes me furious.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    I'm confused about this issue. Do women generally have to pay for any MRI post-diagnosis or just where they have one as part of screening after the active treatment has ended?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Vangirl If you are 50 and over they are not subsidised. If you are under 50 they are. What I am unclear about is if there is any criteria for a 50+ year old to get a subsidy. Some places charge over $1000 I believe.
  • Vangirl
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense as to why mine didn't cost anything (part of my post-diagnostic tests) as I am 42.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    My initial diagnostic MRI was paid for by the hospital.  My 12 month check up was $575 (I was 46) as I no longer checked the "high risk" box.  So if you think you have breast cancer you are high risk, if you've had it your not.  LOL.

The hospital has come on board recently and if you are referred from surgical outpatient clinic (by the consultant) for MRI they will now cover the costs of the MRI. So all 4 scans last week cost me zero. If my GP had referred me it would have been $120 gap on the u/s, $180 gap on the mammogram (if no biopsy required or it would have been $220) and $575 on the MRI. So many variations. Bloody ridiculous.
  • arpie
    Options
    CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO GET A DECENT 'readable' SIZE!!

If it isn't being rude, @kezmusc  -  what age are you now?

There are SO many inconsistencies in the whole BC thing, to be honest - from not being advised that you have dense breast tissue & are therefore more likely for it not to be found - to this blatantly sexist decision to allow men's MRI's to be subsidised but not Women's Breast Cancer.  :(   

How lucky were you that some of your MRIs WERE covered ..... what a bonus.

It is good to know that BCNA and Professor Christobel Saunders are on our side, in trying to get the funding thru.  Apparently, it is not the first time that Christobel Saunders has applied for funding for women with BC.  :(  
  • kezmusc
    Options
    It's definitely not rude.  I just turned 47.
  • kezmusc
    Options
    I will check with our "Prostate Cancer" nurse on Monday and see what is covered for the boys.  There really is so much difference as to what is covered where and at what stage.  Quite honestly I think it's disgusting that anybody with any type of cancer has to pay for scans, either diagnostic, follow up or for treatment.  If they have the technology and the meds it should be available for everybody from the get go. Too bad if you just don't have the money. 
  • Vangirl
    Options
    Does anyone know what Fran Boyle meant by her comments about ''beams"? Why is the accuracy of the diagnostic tool more crucial for men with prostate cancer?
  • arpie
    Options
    @Vangirl  -  I am thinking the 'beam' is the radiation ..... I am thinking she is saying that it is a tad close to their 'important bits' and they may have side effects and/or damage.

hmmmm ..... so it would appear that saving Men's bits are more important than finding women's bits earlier so that what some consider to be mutilation (with very good reason) doesn't need to occur??