Volunteers needed to help Med and Physio Students with Patient Communication

Options
Jane221
Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
edited August 2018 in Community news and events
Hi all,

I am currently working at Sydney's Macquarie University Hospital as their new Volunteer Coordinator and thought some of you who live in Sydney may be interested in becoming involved with our Health & Wellbeing Collaboration (HAWC) Program which involves physiotherapy and medical students and community volunteers meeting on a regular basis to discuss their medical condition, how it affects them, and how they interact with the health care system. The program is a great way for our students to improve their communication and patient-interaction skills, hopefully ensuring our graduates have great bedside manners!

Although no direct treatment is given to volunteers, students will, over time, perform assessments of mobility and balance which may provide valuable information to the volunteer, their family and caregivers.

Students may also use assessment findings to suggest exercise and physical activity programs that will be tailored to the volunteer’s health goals and needs.

We are recruiting for the period Aug-Nov and visits happen 4-5 times during that period, usually at the volunteer's home, and at their convenience. 

This is a great opportunity to help inform and educate our future medical and health care-givers! 

To find out more: https://www.mq.edu.au/about/about-the-university/faculties-and-departments/faculty-of-medicine-and-health-sciences/departments-and-centres/department-of-health-professions/engage-with-us or call 02 9850 9077 and ask for the HAWC Recruitment Officer.

Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    it's a great initiative, Jane. I wish I was able to participate. mxx
  • Jane221
    Options
    I wish you could too @Zoffiel. I think most of our stories / histories would be quite the eye-opener for most of our more sheltered students!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've done something similar at Peter Mac. Only one off engagements for that project which would not have the impact of repeat visits.
    I do wish  'consumers' which is a wanky word but the best we can do, would have a go at these programs. To paraphrase Golum from Lord of the Rings 'I likes them raw and wriggling'  It can be very challenging to talk about being in the wringer when it is still squashing you, but i think it is worth it. Or it was for me. Mxxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I would be happy to share my experiences with the medical profession if there was something like this in Adelaide.
  • Jane221
    Options
    Hi @Sister, it would be great to see other Unis with medical / health degrees do something similar. From what I can see, it is a great program that both the student and volunteer get a lot out of, with a number of volunteers helping out each semester.