mini field of women ideas

Linda_7
Linda_7 Member Posts: 34
edited September 2011 in General discussion

Hi Girls, am keen to hear if anyone has run a local mini field of women?

Where did you run it? Local park?? In front of shopping strip??

Any concerns?

Did you have a morning tea??

Love to hear grass root experiences.

We are keen to run one in Epping,nsw.  And want to raise awareness to our local area.

Comments

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015

Hi there Linda, I don't have a lot of experience as 2010 was my first Mini Field

I held it at the Wentworth (NSW) wharf precinct on the banks of the Darling River.  I had groups of "Ladies" around the bases of trees, picnic tables, river signs - they all looked very pretty, just like groups of women gathered for a bit of a natter.

I didn't have catering of any kind, it's a bit hard when you don't know how many will be there as it was an open invitation event advertised by flyers and bits in the local paper.  A coffee shop in the main street said they would be open for anyone who wanted a cuppa, or a mug of soup as it was a cold rainy day.

A friend of mine who sings locally came along and set up his guitar equipment and kept us all entertained with a mixture of country, easy listening and sing-a-long tunes. He also acted as and informa MC.

We filled balloons with helium, and for a g/coin donation messages could be attached.  At a nominated time Anthony sang Amazing Grace and we released the balloons.  It was a very happy moment, plenty of laughter as some of the balloons had been blown up manualy and they didn't rise with the rest but bobbed along the surface of the river. 

It was an emotional day, but not sad if you know what I mean... some tears and lots of smiles.

I'm going to do it again this year in the same place . being by the river under the ancient gum trees is so peaceful.

Hope this helps ..... good luch with yours

Cheers ... Shirl xx

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015

Hi there Linda, I don't have a lot of experience as 2010 was my first Mini Field

I held it at the Wentworth (NSW) wharf precinct on the banks of the Darling River.  I had groups of "Ladies" around the bases of trees, picnic tables, river signs - they all looked very pretty, just like groups of women gathered for a bit of a natter.

I didn't have catering of any kind, it's a bit hard when you don't know how many will be there as it was an open invitation event advertised by flyers and bits in the local paper.  A coffee shop in the main street said they would be open for anyone who wanted a cuppa, or a mug of soup as it was a cold rainy day.

A friend of mine who sings locally came along and set up his guitar equipment and kept us all entertained with a mixture of country, easy listening and sing-a-long tunes. He also acted as and informa MC.

We filled balloons with helium, and for a g/coin donation messages could be attached.  At a nominated time Anthony sang Amazing Grace and we released the balloons.  It was a very happy moment, plenty of laughter as some of the balloons had been blown up manualy and they didn't rise with the rest but bobbed along the surface of the river. 

It was an emotional day, but not sad if you know what I mean... some tears and lots of smiles.

I'm going to do it again this year in the same place . being by the river under the ancient gum trees is so peaceful.

Hope this helps ..... good luch with yours

Cheers ... Shirl xx

• ShirlO
    edited March 2015

Hi again, do you have many public spaces in your area?  Go for a drive and check out areas that may have easy access.  Visual access by passing traffic is good, but there has to be somewhere for the cars to stop and easy pedestrian access (don't forget to cater for wheel chair and walker access).

It's best to check with your local council to apply to use park areas, there may be a small "user-pays" fee but quite often this will be waived for a charity event.

What about a sports area (football , soccer, baseball etc), you'll have plenty of access there and seating if needed.  Another venue could be your local school "front area", once again plenty of  pedestrian and vehicle access.

If you had it at a school, maybe the tuck-shop ladies would agree to open and sell cool drinks.  They could even sell pink cup-cakes ... this could be a fund raising thing for the school and you'd be involving the children as well as the parents (very educational for both)

Re the shopping area ... you could involve the shops too - get them to decorate  with balloons and pink ladies and maybe have your larger ladies gathered outside the shops.

Where ever you decide, get advertising out there,  It doesn't have to be expensive - put flyers in the shops, if you have local radio and press get in touch with them, do an article and try for an on-air interview

Hope this helps ....

Cheers .. Shirl x0x

• pacwood
    pacwood Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015

Hi Linda

We are holding our first mini field this year too. It is going to be held at my childrens yearly Arts Alive festival. We dont do a school fete, it is an art exhibition of the childrens work and local artists. We have a cafe with coffee's, cake and yummy lunches. The kids do crafty activities and have lots of fun!

There are a few parents at the school experiencing BC so we want our mini field to be symbolic  and raise more  awareness. It is going to be great!

Good luck with yours hope it is a sucess.

xo Christie.

• pacwood
    pacwood Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015

Hi Linda

We are holding our first mini field this year too. It is going to be held at my childrens yearly Arts Alive festival. We dont do a school fete, it is an art exhibition of the childrens work and local artists. We have a cafe with coffee's, cake and yummy lunches. The kids do crafty activities and have lots of fun!

There are a few parents at the school experiencing BC so we want our mini field to be symbolic  and raise more  awareness. It is going to be great!

Good luck with yours hope it is a sucess.

xo Christie.

• karinkragh
    karinkragh Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015

I have not had any experience myself, but a friend of mine hosts  a day at her home and she send invities to load of people all over Sydney. She usually has over 100 people attending this event.  She makes arrangements with various stake holders who agrees to attend and provide loads of different experiences such as a  card reader, massages, facials,  a cake stall, A fashion stall, a  plant stall and/or  you can  just sit in her garden and sip Champagne and chat to friends.  They all provide their services for a small fee and donate 15% of their takings to the cancer.  She provides tea and canape for a fee of $15 plus she will ask you to donate $25 to cancer reseach ( tax deductable).  it is a lot of work and she has been doing this for the past 3 years.  She will no longer be doing it and I have been thinking of taking over for next year.  I currenlty work full time 10 yrs a day and am running out of energy.

love to all

• karinkragh
    karinkragh Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015

I have not had any experience myself, but a friend of mine hosts  a day at her home and she send invities to load of people all over Sydney. She usually has over 100 people attending this event.  She makes arrangements with various stake holders who agrees to attend and provide loads of different experiences such as a  card reader, massages, facials,  a cake stall, A fashion stall, a  plant stall and/or  you can  just sit in her garden and sip Champagne and chat to friends.  They all provide their services for a small fee and donate 15% of their takings to the cancer.  She provides tea and canape for a fee of $15 plus she will ask you to donate $25 to cancer reseach ( tax deductable).  it is a lot of work and she has been doing this for the past 3 years.  She will no longer be doing it and I have been thinking of taking over for next year.  I currenlty work full time 10 yrs a day and am running out of energy.

love to all

• Linda_7
    edited March 2015

thanks everyone, will let you know where we are going. Lots of useful tips to consider!!

• Linda_7
    edited March 2015

thanks everyone, will let you know where we are going. Lots of useful tips to consider!!